Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
No Ice, Fishin' Late Season Soft Water [pics] >

No Ice, Fishin' Late Season Soft Water [pics]

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

No Ice, Fishin' Late Season Soft Water [pics]

Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default No Ice, Fishin' Late Season Soft Water [pics]

With the lack of ice, my panfishing has non-existent. Found plenty of other fish to play with. Some cool photos and some great eating walleyes with a couple days of limits.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Our hard water has been the same way.. Way to soft for enjoyment.. It was 49 degrees up here 2 days ago then back to the mid 20s with last night getting down to 1 degree so it is starting to make some nice hard water.. I think the shallow coves maybe alright to try now.. I am holding off until next week while the colder temps get the water solidifying.. It should not be long now..
Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice fish BH14, Congrats!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Nice fish! So you guys only fish for panfish under ice? Just curious, ice is always nonexistent here in Alabama. Seems like you made out nicely with the steelhead (?) and walleye though!

Sorry for the highjack BH14, but you guys should check out the whitetail forum, I finally got my first buck this year. I haven't fished much in the past few weeks, because I was hunting hard. With a little less than a month of deer season left here, I think I am going to stop hunting for this year anyways. I have enough meat, so might as well fish again!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

mrl0004, I can ice fish for just about any species I catch in the soft water, panfish are just my main fish to keep for eating and they are best in cold water temperatures.

What a buck, and your first to boot! Awesome story, that is an incredible deer. Congratulations.

Here is the link for others interested!!!!!

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whit...k-finally.html
Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice fish..es[ecially the Waleyed pike ..Like the eagle pic too.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

So between walleye and crappie or bluegill (fav panfish), which tastes better? I've heard both, but I always thought walleye was a hands down favorite. I have never tried it though....
Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Throw out crappie, unless you like mushy fish.

The general public will say Walleye, but in all food it is personal preference. Some people think McDonalds is good...

There is much more to fish than "which is better". People often wonder why fish taste poor, or fishy, etc. A few very key elements play a large part in properly preparing quality fish.

***Disclaimer: this is regarding my area, and my opinions.***

Last edited by buckhunter14; 01-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Buck..I know how to take the mushy out of crappie..will bet a pack of your best Zoom worms on it.LOL

Soak the fillets in buttermilk over night..they will be nearly as firm as waleyed pike fillets..I don't know why it works..but it does..and the taste is outstanding.Learned this trick from a New yorker
Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I second what Chuck said. If you do that they will not be mushy at all. I should have been more specific in my other post, I was asking which one YOU like better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.