Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Best bait for bedding bass? >

Best bait for bedding bass?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Best bait for bedding bass?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best bait for bedding bass?

I noticed some nice size bedding bass as I was bluegill fishing saturday. One guy down the shore from me caught a nice 5 lb-er on a carolina rig. What do you think is the best bait to target these bass? Also, what about the best flies to target them with a fly rod?
Thanks!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

senkos, craws, flukes, pretty much any weightless plastic or sometimes a light weight. i got one and lost one yesterday on a jig. both were on beds
Old 05-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Senkos are very simple and can work.

I'd try to learn the drop-shot method for small plastics. I'm in the process of mastering it right now. Have to get good at it before May 29....
Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slow presentations work, but sometimes they don't. I had great luck this spring burning rattletraps through beds, and I never even considered doing that before.

Worms were working, and jigs were working, but the bite was slow so I started fan casting a rattletrap. I was hauling water until I threw it up parrallel to the bank and burned it across some beds and then WHAM-O!!! The rest of the trip was incredible to say the least.

Afterwards, I noticed the bass chasing off perch and I instantly knew what was happening. My rattletrap looked like a perch busting in to get some of the fry and the bass wanted none of it and were nailing it.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I would definatly go with a wacky rigged senko.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I alway had pretty good luck with craws ,lizzards weightless.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I find almost anything will work when they are on the beds. They hate intruders running into the beds and will try and chase them off. So I preffer something that can work with a slow retrieve or almost a motionless movement. Something you can agravate the bass with. Even if you took a carolina rig and brought right over the bed and let it drop down into it would surely get results. They appear to clean anything and everything out of those beds. Up here a pumkinseed lizzard would work most the time on them. I am planning on heading out after some later on this morning to see if I can get something to start my scoring with.. Good luck to you..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-06-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

When fishing for bedding bass I like a carolina rigged lizard, but the water clarity decides on what color I use. If you are blind fishing for bedding bass the best thing to locate them with is a swim jig, they will swipe at it and you will see some mud kick up or a boil. Then I throw my lizard in there.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Watermelon Zoom lizard here, but our water may be a lot clearer (usually) than where you are.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

red shad weightless zoom trick worm. toss is right over there bed and that slow sink they can not resist, i caught 10 bass over 2lb in 30 min.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.