HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Farmers almanac, moons and fishing...... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/343753-farmers-almanac-moons-fishing.html)

mrl0004 04-23-2011 09:46 AM

Farmers almanac, moons and fishing......

How many of you only fish on the best days according to the moon phase? I have started checking the farmers almanac fishing predictor that gives a "best,good, fair or poor" for each day of the month based on moon phase I believe. I know people that simply won't go on the "poor" days. I have always been of the school of thought that anything could happen anytime. I've killed deer when it's been too windy and caught fish when I wasn't supposed to. A bad day in the woods or on the water beats almost a good day doing anything else to me. So what do you guys check to plan the best fishing day? Or do you?

buckhunter14 04-23-2011 10:53 AM

I've never paid any attention to things like that. I don't pay any attention to moon phases unless it is near the spawn for Bass, Steelhead, and Salmon. Even then there are so many other factors in which I dictate decisions on before phases.

I fish whenever I get the opportunity. Someone could have told me that I would 100% catch no fish this morning and I would have went fishing just to prove them wrong. This morning was a great one to be on the water though! :)

Chuck7 04-23-2011 04:44 PM

I fish by the moon phases...but there are other factors as well..

The spawn

faith and confidence

cold fronts

honestly...I fish all the time..but I fish my hawg lakes { 80 miles away} just prior to the full moon. I won't waste a trip out there any other days..also the 2 days prior of the new moon are good as well. I kept data on this last summer..and it was pretty myuch right on.

mrl0004 04-23-2011 04:47 PM

Im glad it was good for someone. Here it was so windy I ended up frustrating myself to the point of a headache. High winds made bobber fishing for bluegill kind of difficult. I had a weighted bobber on 6lb test with Gulp! maggots 2 feet below the bobber. I had 3 rods out and spent all my time getting bobbers out of the bank rocks/weeds. It makes me mad just to think about it. I HATE the wind when I am fishing.....

Chuck7 04-23-2011 11:49 PM

I don't beleive it is an absolute..I've taken out a bucket of shiners and caught lot's of bass on the downside of the moon..but most of the time..IMHO the moon phases are right on. I also check the daily feeding times.

Yesterday was a downside of the moon..and Matt and I did not do very well..just a few dinks.We still had fun talking the father and son stuff though.It was a new lake.
This subject has been brought up a few times on here before..most on here don't beleive that the moon phases effect fishing.I strongly do.

Last summer I kept track of bass I caught at one place..Saddle Creek.. most days i caught 3-4 fish.The 1-3 days prior to the full and new moons I was boating around 15 nice bass. I made the newspaper 3 times last year. May, June and July LOL the times before the full moon.

Outdoorsben 04-24-2011 04:42 AM

I've recently become a little obsessed with the weather effects on fishing. I go out in all weather types and situations but i've recently started to document moon phase and barometric pressure. I will say the moon phases are spot on. Full moon and new moon seems to produce the best amount of action for me. You can probably get 2 or 3 days of a full and new moon. Also barometric pressure seems to be pretty accurate as well. Now if I can just get a moon phase and a raising or falling pressure to coincide it'll be like the perfect storm ha ha.

jrbsr 04-24-2011 05:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I only fish on days that end in Y. :wave:
You know like Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday.

I fish the moon to, as long as there is a moon up in the ski I fish. :happy0001:

Any time you go fishing you never know what the next cast will bring. :hail::hail::hail::hail: Come on Big Momma.

One thing for is sure you won't catch Any fish setting in front of the TV. :busted: