Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Finally Spring [pics] >

Finally Spring [pics]

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Finally Spring [pics]

Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally Spring [pics]

Finally got some rain and runoff in the water systems. Temperatures are downright cold for the season. Some night are managing to continously make it into single digits. Highs have not been making it above freezing, but I'm catching them pretty good.

Fishing the new rod I built this winter. Amazing backbone, does some serious damage to fish.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Dominant Buck

The handiwork of God...is awesome. His merrcies never come to an end. Thankyou Lord..and thanks Buckhunter for sharing.

Looks like a blast..nice pics

Last edited by Chuck7; 03-29-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go get them buckhunter!! I have to agree with Chuck and say it sure looks like you had a great time out there..
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome pics! What method do you use for steelies? I think they are such a beautiful fish and I imagine a good fight too! One of these days I will catch one.....sometimes I wish I wasn't in the south so I could have the opportunity to fish for salmonids!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steelhead are the best freshwater fighter there is. I am biased though, as they are my favorite fish to pursue. I will gurantee you they are one of the pickiest fish to be had.

This is the method I live by, wish various forms of bait on the end, my mainstay being spawn.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting setup. Ever used it on anything else? Is steelhead your main fish you target? I don't know if I have a favorite, anything in saltwater and browns (after my last trip would rank as high as any), although browns are nowhere nearby for me
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

3-5lb flourocarbon leader, amazingly light, but I assume its because the fish is so finicky? Do you hever have issues with breakoffs using that light of a leader?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gangly
3-5lb flourocarbon leader, amazingly light, but I assume its because the fish is so finicky? Do you hever have issues with breakoffs using that light of a leader?

Break offs occur often. In winter, with very gin clear water clarity, I will use a 4 pound flouro leader. Generally it is a 6 pound leader. If the water is stained you can get away with 8 to 10 pound flouro.

You would be amazed at the strength of 6 pound test. It can withhold much more than you would think, and these fish fight. When I mean fight, I mean vicious headshakes, long bullet runs, dancing on top of the water, add the river current in there and you've got your hands full.

This setup works for all Salmonoids in moving water (current).
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

ok, you talked me into it. Where can I go catch em!?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrl0004
ok, you talked me into it. Where can I go catch em!?
Any tributary to a body of water that carries Salmonoids (Or specifically Steelhead). The Pacific Ocean is VERY well known for their Salmon and Steelhead runs and tributaries in Alaska, Washington, Idaho, and Oregon have phenominal fishing I believe. In the Midwest, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New York all recieve great Steelhead run from their corresponding bodies of water. Timing is everything, water conditions have to be right, but guides can always put you on fish.