Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Time to buy a boat..

Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

to sum it up for me.. if its a gas motor that doesnt get used once every 3 days, (exception being a car), it gets stabil in the gas. 2 stroke, 4stroke, carbed, efi, they all get it
Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks friend,

I'm always amazed of how young you are and hom much experience you have ,,,wish I lived close to ya.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gangly
Yes, definately in lawn mowers. If your weedeater takes mixed fuel (oil and gas) its not a big deal because the ethanol in the gas doesnt draw out the moisture because of the oil present. 2 strokes aren't affected nearly as much as 4 strokes. Also, fuel injected motors don't seem to have near the issues with gumming up from ethanol as do carb'd motors.

To summarize: if it's 4 stroke, or carb'd, you definitely need to add fuel stabalizer. 2 strokes can get away without it, but its still a good idea to use it if you don't use that engine often, particularly if you use gas that has ethanol in it. Stabil is a good one to use.
It has caused issues with my 2 stroke Mercury 9.8 last year after the gas set 2 weeks. I had to take the carb apart and clean it. Never again as I smartened up and use stabile as well. I also had the same problem with my chainsaw which is a 2 stroke as well. It turns the gas milky colored after around 2 weeks.

Now I have just ordered out a 4 stroke Yamaha for my Corson boat. That should solve a few issues with fishing this year. It is a 60 hp with a high thrust lower unit.. I will be using my 9.8 Mercury for trolling and getting into shallower water.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

you are getting a new 60 HP motor Phil??
Old 03-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes Chuck, I bit the bullet and said the heck with it. I was given a 16 foot Corson boat that me and my next door nieghbor used to use. He has passed away around five years a go. His son traded the 70 hp Johnson with a 35 hp Evinrude and just let it set. The boat is still in great shape and his son passed it along to me a year ago Christmas. He is away and I never recieved the bill of sales until late last fall. With it setting around all this time the cables have rusted up pretty bad. So I talked the wife into letting me get the motor, cables, controler, and prop to go with it. I should have the motor here in about 3 weeks. It is a brand new motor that is a left over from 2010 with a 3 year manufacturers quarantee.. So I should be all set by the time the ice is out. I will be keeping my smaller aluminum boat as well to get those hard to get places with.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!!They aren't cheap..
Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

No they are not and I had to go to the bank to get a lone to get it. I did save 1,300 on it though being a left over. I explained to the wife we might as well get it and it should last a very long time. It also would save me the headace of it breaking down all the time. I will be paying on this one for a while to come and hopefully will never need to buy another motor..
Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I voted Searay
Attached Thumbnails Time to buy a boat..-truck_boat_1st-day_email.jpg  

Last edited by Edcyclopedia; 03-30-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia
Sorry I voted Searay
Good for you! But that Searay would be hitting alot of ledges in our lakes up here.. I will admit they are nice baots though. I just wouldn't want one for my purpose with all the rock piles and ledges cropping up and hidden just below the surface I am sure you would have a hard time with it up here as well. Now for salt water that would be a decent boat to have..
Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

just a little teaser... but theres a new bass boat sitting in my garage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.