Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
The deal/the situation...boat repair >

The deal/the situation...boat repair

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

The deal/the situation...boat repair

Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Dominant Buck

.Looks like a live and learn situation..I would have left the boat with the owner..BUT..you can't cry over spilled milk..We have to see if we can't salvage the vessel..

Everytime I look..the crack looks much worse..What do you mean by drilling it out ?

First..I would go to Lowes and see if they could suggest something...something similiar to what you use on cars..but you need something that will work on plastic..you need something with some substance...

After looking again..I'd use Shoe Goo as a last resort..I'd try to find some kind of resin type stuff that would work similiar to fiberglass like patching up a dent on a car..Check with Lowes..

I'm going to pray for you this morning that God gives you some wisdom in fixing your boat..He's always my first resource. { -;
Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Epoxy is the word...

Here's what turned me on to Shoe Goo..I wanted to make a portable live well...so I bought one of those 25.00 airators from Walmart..but couldn't figure out how to attach it to the bottom of my cooler..After trying many different glues and such ..I tried Shoe Goo..

I took all the hardware off the bottom of the airator..and stuck a gob ..about 1/4 inch thick of Shoe Goo...and stuck it in the corner of my cooler..That thing stuck there for at least...5 years..and I had a ton of bluegills & crappie in that baby..I also fixed many other things with it..

Another thing you may consider ..JB Weld makes a weld for plastic..never tried it though on plastic...I'm sure there is a real good epoxy out there..

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-20-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

by "drill out", I read where it was recomended to drill a small hole at both ends of the crack....to keep it from expanding

like so:

()------------------------------------------()

I called bass hunter boats and they said they actually supply a patch that when mixed with some sort of acetone (also supplied in their patching kit) will chemically weld itself to the boat....provided that the boat is made out of the same kind of plastic they are used to dealing with (ABF....?). Anyway that sounded good....they said the circumstance I'm in is not that unusual....from their perspective.....perhaps your prayers worked Chuck....thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I did pray my friend.most do get answered one way or another..He tells us to achknowledge Him in everything we do

Sounds grear man.hope it works for ya
Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would definately go with an epoxy of some sort, but as stated before, that is quite a break in the structure.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 AM
Spike

I have repaired plastic gas tanks with a patch material from the auto parts store. It is an epoxy based patch with a piece of fiberglass cloth for the repair. Main thing to do is rough the area up with 60 grit sand paper so the patch will "bite" to something and hold. I would also do it to both sides of the crack.

The only problem I see is that the patch kit at the auto parts store is small so it may take a few of them to do the whole job.
Another option is to talk to a boat repair shop I am sure they have a product they use.

Good luck
Ron
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

i have similar boat,
bass tracker II,
i also have multiple cracks i repaired
there are different epoxies,
some are too stiff when dry and crack also,
for the under side i use a 3m marine epoxy which is rated for below the waterline of plastic hulls,
i apply several thin coats, letting each dry for +24 hrs before the next,
couple things before applying, sand it smooth and to give epoxy good surface to bond to,
if you shoot me a message next time i get the chance(probably 2 weeks or so) i can check exact name of expoxy i use for the underside,
there are many boat epoxies, probably went through 5 or so before found 1 flexible enough not to crack
Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys

message sent terrasec
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me know when your around,and i'll come fiberglass it and put a layer of marine tex over the edges... it'll be the strongest part of that boat.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

This just may be your angel you were hoping for...and as a bonus..he could help any of us catch more fish...he's a pro.

He used to live in Texas and post some real nice fish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.