Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

2011 Bass Tournament

Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I didnt get out there this morning so I went on lunch. I got humbled today, not one fish. Maybe tomorrow there will be a bite or two, who knows, but have to try regardless, can't catch a fish if the hook isnt wet.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Shoot..I'm going to have a celebration when I feel my first tap tap..usually at this time of the year..a tap tap means a good fish...

I remembered my rule last year that helped me have a very high hook set percentage..treat every bite like it's a 5 pounder... A 5 pound fish has a hard set of jaws..I also set my drag accordingly....like a sudden jolt on a 5 pounder.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im the same, I'll rip the lips of a small one before I do a soft hookset on a big one. Unless the hook style deems it unecessary (Circle and Octopus).
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't use the Cross their eyes hook set..I use the Pull Set..

BUT I pull set believing there is a 5 pounder there..which is a pretty darn good dig..I only use a Cross their eyes set when using a jig..because I know the hook is in their mouth and probably will not be in there long.

On the pull set..I feel fish..but he doesn't feel me..I drive the hook like a knife..with a quick pull..I catch most of my worm fish...I also get some swallowed hooks which is not good. With the econaomy down..I plan to keep a few chunky 14 inchers this year..all bass between 15- 24 must be released. I plan on smoking them..It's the only way I like to eat bass..First I fillet them ..then take out any worms....and smoke them till brown and done..the smoke makes them taste very good.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you say that you remove the worms, are you referring to the worm lures, or parasitic worms within the fish? I will have to try smoking the bass sometime. It sounds like it would be pretty good, but I guess I would need to go get a smoker.

My freezer went south about 4-5 months ago and I lost all my venison and all of my fish.....UGH!!! So I might be keeping a few skinny ones this spring to restock the freezer.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm removing the parasite...you don't need a smoker..here's how I do it..

A. I have a gas grill ..I inserter a thermostat in the hood..the grill is a cheap ole 100.oo Walmart special..

B. I bought a WAlmart fire box..can be hand made..a rectangular box with slots in it..7" x 5 " X 2inches deep.

C. I put my wetted down hickory chips in the fire box and put directly on the burner at the bottom of the grill..slots indirectly facing the flame..

D. Close the grill..let smoke build up as well as temperature..

{ I have one of those fish grill baskets that clamp fish in so you can turn them.} Rub fillets with olive oil , dill , salt and pepper.

E. Once grill is 300 ...place fillets over burner..on top of the original flat crate that came with the grill.The reason for the fish basket..the fillets will stick..the basket makes grilling fish a cinch.

check in 2 minutes...once brown turn over..and brown the other side..;once that is brown..place fish on the opposite side of grill and smoke till meat is good and done..check with fork..

The bass will not taste like bass ..more like smoked..walleyes or trout..all fishiness is gone..meat is nice and firm..very good.The only way I can eat Florida bass.

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sign me up buddy.....sorry for bein late..wish is have been in it, i caught two solid three pounders on jigs last week
Old 02-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome back young fellow.I'm still using Power Pro..ESPECIALLY THIS YEAR..got a new lake structure city..
Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres my chunky fish from yesterday, caught a few more smaller ones but here was the best by far. Weighed 4.04 lbs
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, one fish that weighs about as much as 2 of mine combined, lol. Nice catch Oneshot7!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.