Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Any ice-fishermen here? >

Any ice-fishermen here?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Any ice-fishermen here?

Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Spike

Default Any ice-fishermen here?

Are there any other ice-fisherman here or am I the only one? I must say that for the first 35 years of my fishing life, I dutifully put my fishing equipment aside in October and didn't think about fishing until the following April, but about 15 years ago, a neighbor turned me on to ice fishing and I must say that I enjoy it as much as open-water fishing.

If you do it, give a holler. If you don't, why not try it? Buy an auger, get a rod, put on your thermals and cold weather hunting duds, and go catch a few. I can't think of a better way to beat that cabin fever that hits all of us northerners during the winter months (that and hunting of course).
Old 12-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

I've never ice fish before ,but thinking about giveing it a try this year as so as the ponds and lake get froze over enough there a pond i fish that has alot of crappie in it thats why i want to go i hear the fish taste better in the winter than spring .
Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I ice fish about 70 days each year mostly for pan fish. Live on the shores of lake champlain in Vt so I can fish in my back yard. My favorite time of the year other than elk and deer seasons.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

Love hard water fishing.
Ice fish pa and sometimes northern NY.
Maybe because season so limited and conditions so dependent on mother nature I look forward to it more so than softwater fishing.
Something about waiting months for that first ice
Old 12-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice sales pitch...

Hardwater is a good time.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too ice fish a few times a year. Course, sometimes we can do it by thanksgiving up here.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Going out this weekend with my 4-year old... It will be a fabulous New Year in the backyard!
Attached Thumbnails Any ice-fishermen here?-almost-5lbs.jpg   Any ice-fishermen here?-jiggin-jake.jpg   Any ice-fishermen here?-28inch_3.5lb.-pickerel_email.jpg  
Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ice fish quite a bit up here, usually for northerns and panfish. Just got a new Jiffy Stealth STX on monday and I'm loving it! Here is a nice walleye we picked up on sunday.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I ice fish quite a bit when my work schedule allows me to. I fish for white perch, landlock salmon, brook trout, white fish, as well as laketrout.. I also catch quite a few pickeral while perch fishing and a few cusk laker fishing..
Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had planned on spending half the day out there today. It never happened! My ice auger was frooze up for a while and I got that straightened out and then the pull cord wouldn't return. I took the top off it to try and repair it. When trying to get at the spring I broke 2 screwdrivers and came to realize it was not going to happen today. In the morning I will be picking up a brand new Jiffy 10 inch auger. I wanted a new 10 inch Stealth but they do not have one. It is still a Jiffy anyways.. The old one I had to work on the past 2 years so now that one will be given to one of my sons if they want to get it fixed, for me it was enough already..

I also dropped off my Artic Cat Jag to get the Jack Shaft bearings replaced so I will not have any problems with that this year either. I was having problems with my speedometer. That is caused sometimes by the Jack Shaft bearings going. So I figured what the heck I might as well get them replaced and save a big headache later. It will not be long and I will be on the ice again.. I may try a spot tomorrow that I can walk out to..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 01-14-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.