Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Quick Update (pics)

Old 12-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Quick Update (pics)

Well, college courses wrapped up for the semester and the holidays are quickly approaching.

The hardwater is now safe. I've brought 4 limits 4 consecutive days on panfish. Big fish eager to bite.

A few Steelhead are hanging around, with cold weather even the rivers are frizen tight.

Deer are plentiful, just don't feel like dealing with anymore cleaning these days. Jerky will be made this week.

Early Nov. Buck. Big body, little disappointed in the rack.

December Steelhead, lived to swim another day.

Mid December Muzzleloader Doe
Old 12-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice pics..can you post your jerky recipe?
Thanks ,
C7
Old 12-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Currently I do not have a smoker so my oven will suffice. I cut 1/8 inch strips of whole lean meat. Marinate in cure and seasoning (either hickory or cracked peppercorn) for 24 hours.

Lay out on cookie sheet and put on lowest bake temperature possible. I even crack the oven door (it heats the house and the jerky). About an hour pending on the looks, I flip them and finish up the dehydrating process.

Simple and tasty.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Buck,

A little comment on something you wrote about critisism..dang can't spell...LOL on another site.

Remember my friend.."if you were of the world , the world would love you..but you are not of this world; therefore the world hateth you." Jesus said that in His Word..I have to remind myself of this often. Continue to let your light shine my friend.

You are very blessed to be able to hunt and fish the kind of terrain that you live near. I'm really happy for ya and truly enjoy the pictures.You have a nice camera and we southern folks don't see that kind of beautiful countryside very much.

Thanks for the jerky info..we do it like that too {-;

Was your buck about 160 pounds on the hoof?

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-18-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

C7, words of wisdom. The other forum is a forum of Michigan. It is very specific and it is my go to forum for reports from ice fishing to waterfowl migration because it is much more local.

The down side is, there is a tight group of us that really have our 'ducks in a row', no pun intended. It often results in jealousy and the forum community becomes more of a controversy station. I often get blamed for not fishing for the fun of fishing, and people put words into my mouth.

From experience, I have learned it is just better to go about your business. Anyone who comes to me in a correct manner, I will be more than willing to lend a hand. I take every learning chance as a great opportunity and that is what I believe makes a true outdoors-person.

Some people just don't have it. This community is much different. Everyone is accepting and likes to see the successes of others, rather than criticize them on technicalities.

That buck was only a 1.5 year old deer, you are probably right on the live weight. Hanging on the pole he probably went 130ish. Guess the meat was more tender than an old deer... (lol)

Thanks Chuck, too bad the picture quality is not better in these pictures. I have been slacking lately... Pictures generally mean alot to me. Soon I will have some VERY good pictures, hopefully. I was assigned to a prostaff for an ice jig maker and he needs photos for his website... love the benefits

Last edited by buckhunter14; 12-19-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice muzzleloader you got there.{ -;
Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Meat is meat. My family and friends get irritated with me a lot because I will take a yearling doe or buck any day over a large buck when going for meat. I very much dislike game tasting venison, and the only way I seem to get good meat is to shootthem young....so I do. Both deer look great to me, and beautiful salmon as usual, the colors in the fish you post are always amazing, I wish we had fish that pretty down here (minus large sunfish). As long as it's legal, then keep on keepin' on, what you do is none of their business anyways.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice going Buckhunter.. I think I would have filleted the steelhead out as well.. That would of made a nice meal or some surf and turf with the steelhead and deer steak..