Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Buying a Bass Tracker.. >

Buying a Bass Tracker..

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Buying a Bass Tracker..

Old 11-14-2010, 03:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Buying a Bass Tracker..

Reasons...

A. We live in Florida...something for guest to do when they visit

B. Fish lakes like Toho , Big O

C. Splitting all cost with Matt..

D. he has a garage in his home.

E.Presently looking at one with a 90HP on the back

F, Can fish local OPEN tournaments

G. Take more people ..it's 18 foot long

H. Some unexpected money came from when I was hit by a car..

I and because I feel God's peace in the matter..it's the right time

I plan to patch my little jon up and use it strictly for small carry on lakes.

PS can any of you boat owners give me some advice before I buy.Is it weird to ask the pre owner for a test drive on the water..Matt and I are looking to spend about 7000

Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chuck tell them you'd like a test run, anybody with a boat will understand this, make it a good one, 20-30 minutes run time, look at water pressure should be 12-17#'s running, if there is no gauge check and make sure "pee hole" is putting water out at idle and above. ensure that the trim works and works good...also ask about the age of all batteries...look at all hoses, livewell, bielge, and even remove the cowling off the motor, dry-rotted hoses are a very bad deal...finally have a shop check compression and let them look it over, insist on this, check steering cables, look at all electrical connections like trolling motor, some corrosion is common, but if lugs are rusted off, or jumper bars are gone (completely eroded) use these items for a better deal.. i know a lot of this may be greek to you, but find a shop, and ask them to check it out for you...things add up quick, you do not want to buy a neglected boat unless you get a super deal and don't mind fixin a thing or two...batteries, trolling motors, electronics and all the other junk adds up quick

i don't want to scare you, but look at as many as you can, the more you look at the more you'll determine that one is in better shape than another, there are some great deals out there, there are also some "problem" boats...a complete check will save you big time in the long run...i'd hate to guess how many things i have bought and had great luck on, but i think a lot of this has with how much of the "homework" you do....

BTW i had a basstracker tournament tx with a 60 merc years ago and it was a fine rig

if i think of anything else i'll give you a shout...

don't fall in love with "a boat" shop around, you'll be amazed at the conditions and options that will appear

not sure of your experience with "powerboats" but on your test run, trim motor fully down on dead stop acceleration(to start), then as boat begins to "plane" trim motor up...the two signs of over trimming motor are "blow-out" or low water pressure...blow out is when the prop loses its bite in the water, water pressure may fall off due to pickup being to high out of water bad deal, as water pump and water pressure are like oil pressure in a car, got no water, you wont have a motor long
Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I will forward to Matt..and THANKS A million for the thoughtful time spent in replying..I actually had you in mind when I talked about entertaining guest..kind of crazy living in Florida without a serious boat...life is more than video games..
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

decisions decisions..

In all reality MATT is horrible on motors..this concerns me ALOT...

I had a local boat dealer get back with me and he has a New Alumacraft12' and trailor for 1000.00 with mo extras...My present boat is a 10' 1960 Polar Kraft..like an Alumcraft..

I'm getting tired of fixing leaks..plus too darn short. With 12' ,matt and I could still carry a few yards..
Of couse I will carpet it out and make it look good.I'd fix the other and sell it for 200.00 I paid 100 for it in the 80s

TOUGH TOUGH Choice..

Last edited by Chuck7; 11-15-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Yiles ..did some homework Alumacraft..is not the same as Alumaweld...The list price for Almacraft is 510.00 so I was getting royally ripped..PLUS the weight capacity is 250 pounds less on the Alumacraft..

not good..I need at least a 700 pound capacity..maybe 650
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

C7, IO have had a tracker a few years ago, great boat, mine ran fine. It was a 17' with a 50hp motor, wish i still had it now with a young family and all. As Keith said , look around. You can find some awesome deals on boats these days. I have tought about trying to find another one. Maybe a fixer upa with a solid motor, who knows. They are good boats
Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Questions for you boat owners and pre owners.

1. What fo you do with an expensive boat that you can't afford to repair? once the thing wears out..can you trade them in?even if they don't run?
Thanks,
C7

Last edited by Chuck7; 11-15-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm, good question C7, I have never really had a boat that i could not afford to repair or at least insure so that insurance will pay for the repairs. I'm sure there is places out there that you could trade them in at. There are also people that are looking for fixer uppers as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm startin gto see my problem..wavering faith..and Shame on me..who cares if the engine blows..if ya go through life with that mind set you will never accomplish anything...

In faith...we are getting a Bass Tracker and in faith we are going to enjoy it..if stuff happens...then stuff happens..One thing for sure..this fear isn't coming from God..so I need to get rid of it..
My sons will love it.Andy is coming home from the military in APril..I'd love to see my 2 boys get hooked up into some tourney fishin and develop some outdoor hobbies.a dnd give them video thumbs a rest. { -;
It's something to 4;00 AM right now..got my harness on and am getting ready to pick up Matt to deer hunt..

God bless,
and you all have an excellent day
C7
Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey Chuck no sin in being cautious, in the close to 20 boats i have owned i have only "blown" one motor, and it was on a borrowed boat, i was fishing a tournament and had a tirm pump go out on my rig, a friend let me borrow his boat, well a hose had dry rotted and was not oiling the cylinders properly and locked it up, we split the cost on a new powerhead....my current motor is a 96 model and all i do is ensure a good water pump, i change mine every other year, along with lower unit oil, and spark plugs....

pretty simple stuff....

as far as the boat, heres my deal, i hear people all the time say how exspensive a boat is, 9/10 these people are the type that will buy a boat and use it 3-10 times a year, yes that is exspensive, but if you buy a rig and get use out of it you bring the cost/use ratio way down, you have to put some value in use...when i moved to Texas in the mid 80's i sold my boat, you have probably heard "the two happiest days of a boat-owners life is the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it" well i gotta go against the grain on this, cause i hate being W/O a boat. but because i didn't have anyone to fish with and didn't have storage (i was living in an apartment)i had to sell, but when i bought my house the first thing that came to my mind was "I GOT TO GET ANOTHER BOAT", several guys told me it was a waste of money, i promptly made them eat those words...as i useally fished 8 days a week

i love having a boat i am comfortable in, it provides me the ability to fish any body of water, i can fish in comfort and safety, stability and fishability will increase...but i also enjoy the solitude of a quiet stream or pond W/O all the traffic....

one last thing to remember, if something breaks fix it today, if you let several little things accumlate you'll be very shocked when you go to have them repaired, it adds up quick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.