Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

which lure to use

Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default which lure to use

i have a really small pond at my property and the bass jump a foot out of the water often...ive never seen anything like it...ive been using a beatlespin but what lure should i use...the pond has catfish brim and bass
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

I myself use a small jig with a curly tail my best colors are blue and black and gray and black and dark green a black and i also use a clear green sometimes with these lures i catch BASS CRAPPIE BLUEGILL REDEAR Wouldn't use any other colors or lure hope this helps you out .A nd if the bass are jumping out of the water there feeding on bugs on top the water use a small buzz bait ok . PS.Let me know if this helps you out ok .
Old 08-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd begin with good ole' live bait under a bobber varying depths and bait (Worms, Nightcralwers, Crickets, Minnows, Shiners, Chubs, Frogs) until you catch fish. Just because bass are jumping does not mean they are feeding on bugs. Once you catch a few fish this simply should give you an idea of what depths the fish are feeding at, what they are willing to feed on, etc. Once you gather this information, match your lure to the species they feed on best by color, action, and depth of retrieve.

For example, if they are feeding in the first foot of the water column on silver shiners, I would try a weightless fluke with a silver/shiney color.

If they like nightcralwers on the bottom of the pond, try a bulletweight with a weedless rigged rubber worm. I would use light colors in clear water and dark colors in dirty/stained water.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

lures I'd try from best to mediocre

1st......6 inch black curly tail worm ...fished slowww around the entire pond..light 1/8th ounce bullet sinker..nothing heavier..light line as well. braid is best..it won't kink ..15 lb braid Power Pro { 6lb diameter}should do the trick...lighten up on the drag..braid snaps kind of easy on hook sets.

2nd.....Rapala 2 inch minnow...short floater that dives down about 3 foot
10 pound mono....

3rd. ....3/8th ounce white rooster tail spinner fished at various depths
10 pound mono.

your best bet will be the rubber worm..it's hot out there..fish are on the bottom..I've raised them in a large aquarium to study them..they are much more active at night.the worm will get down to where they are at..the Rapapla is a good morning lure...Rooster Tail...I fish mine close to the bottom as slow as I can keeping the blade turning properly..kind of hard for new fishermen..try these the 4 days before the new or full moon for best results [-;

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-17-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by syrupman
i have a really small pond at my property and the bass jump a foot out of the water often...ive never seen anything like it...ive been using a beatlespin but what lure should i use...the pond has catfish brim and bass
Walk around the pond, and look at what is there.
Like frogs, crickets, grasshoppers, salamanders, crayfish, etc.
And try to imitate, what type of things that are there.
Use what looks natural to the fish.

Good Luck.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

ok i bought a top water jutterbug plug by arbogast, a yellow cricket from rebel that has a lip but floats, a brown sallamander from creme, and a small worm that represents one you would find live from creme...i have high hopes for the cricket and top water plug
Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Spike

also try topwater worms and frogs.
or try a decent size worm
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Try a rattle trap.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IntroC
Try a rattle trap.

I don't know what constitutes as a "really small pond" but my guess is a rattle trap would not be very effective.

The fact that rattle traps are generally used for big, open waters. They cover ground and are fished fast. In a small pond, my guess is that the structure and depth would probably not allow this.