Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Skipping shaky heads under docks >

Skipping shaky heads under docks

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Skipping shaky heads under docks

Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Skipping shaky heads under docks

This past weekend I started pitching some docks with a 1/2 ounce jig,didn't catch a single spot or largemouth on about fifty docks.So I decided to skip a shaky head under the docks like I saw Boyd Duckett do on classic patterns.I got my shaky head out and started skipping this dock that went out to 22 ft of water I started wearing them out.I was using a watermelon red zoom finese worms with a picasso shaky head.I caught 6 spots and about 5 largemouth on all those docks.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

what type of jig head are you using? i like a spot stopper or spot stalker whatever its called. the flat headed one that stands up is my favorite
Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

I used a stand up spot remover and the picasso shaky heads. I'll post pics of both.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

the spot remover stand up and the picasso shakedown
Attached Thumbnails Skipping shaky heads under docks-spot-remover-stand-up.jpg   Skipping shaky heads under docks-picasso-shakedown.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a number of worms. Like netbait, roboworm, zoom, jackall, etc.
But stick to blues, pink, green, silver, sand, and black shades
Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

I like more natural colors, but I might try some other colors like pink,black,and blue.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try skipping some wacky rigged senkos up under those docks. Isn't it kind of tough to skip a weighted jig under a dock at times? Cotton Candy, Mardi Gras, Watermelon Fleck... fish on buddy.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

im talking the roboworm

http://www.roboworm.com/stimages/sthk30.jpg

best worm for dropshotting and shakeyhead. i have loads of these worms
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by childers
im talking the roboworm

http://www.roboworm.com/stimages/sthk30.jpg

best worm for dropshotting and shakeyhead. i have loads of these worms
Are you using a weighted jighead for shakey head though (assuming you are).

In my experience it is just difficult to literally skip a weighted jig (something that would want to sink immediatly after hitting water) under a dock (3'-4')?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the heavier mass of jigs (approximately 3/8), the momentum carried by the jig, and being presented at a relatively shallow/accute angle, is enough to offset the frictional forces of the waters surface with the jig, allowing it to skip decently. The real kicker is head design, that's where a lot of the skipping ability is derived. Football heads don't skip near as good as wedge heads or grass jigs in my experience. Round jigs skip ok, wedge head and grass head jigs skip better, but many of the shakey heads dont skip well consistantly because of the the sharp contrasting angle at the edge of the head. Most flat bottom (shakey head) jigs will skip real well if it hits the flat bottom, but will skip real bad if the edge of the head hits the water's surface. The realtively sharp angle where the flat bottom meets the actual side of the jig digs into the water's surface, causing the jig to not skip very well at all. With true shakey heads, one skip can be great, and the next will be awful, and there is really no way to get good consistancy out of skipping them in my experience. However, that is simply my experience and my opinion, somebody else may be experiencing something completely different. For me, a good skipping jig has either:

a) flat sides with multiple obtuse angles on the head.
b) a wedge head with a smoothly curve lines.
c) a head design that creates lift like the hull of a boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.