Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Channel Cats

Old 07-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Spike

Default Channel Cats

I'm new here, but not to fishing. But I just haven't been succesful with catfish. I live in the Northern suburbs of Chicago near the Des Plaines (about 10 miles). I've gone for cats on the Fox and landed carp, drum (not crazy about drum), bullhead (especially on the Des Plaines; I have a spot by lake Sterling that has provided me only 1 bad day and a regular catch of 6 plus pan size yellow bellied bulls, but I don't really want bullhead and eating fish from the Des Plaines can be like sucking rat poison in some places). I've also had bass strip stinkbaits, pulled out snapping turtles on doughs and cut baits (a 15 pound snapper gave me one hell of a fight and took my hook), set the hook on what ends up being a diving water fowl, and even a muskrat (cut the line on that one), as well as one decent sized bull snake (those things get pretty big and nasty). But no cats. I don't need a real monster cat, any channel cat past 4 lb. would be "big" for me. So, my question isn't quite "what should I do?". My question for those people who find no challenge in catching a decent cat is simply "What do you do"?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

My question for those people who find no challenge in catching a decent cat is simply "What do you do"?

I fish minnows..the big ones seem to love minnows...trouble is.. so do all the other species like Crappie and bass..But quite a few times while looking for crappie..instead I 'd find a school of big blue and channel cats..They love minnows...and they are usually good sized fish. I use a bobber and fish about 2 foot off the bottom. If I find a place that is mostly cats...like the Potomac RIver when I fished in D.C...I'd wade out there and fish with a Rooster Tail and hook into a few like that..my best on a Rooster tail was a 12 pounder..I got pics.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Spike

Hey, thanks! I never considered minnows! And if the crappie is big enough to eat, I guess I wouldn't mind a few in between a forktail cat. Of course, there aren't any blues round here. But minnows are a new idea for me. Mind if I ask what kind of minnows? Sounds like live are the way to go, too.
And it's nice to hear about the fishing in the Potomac. I've always wanted to fish the Potomac. It was mentioned on half the pages of my American history textbook. Keep me updated on the cats in your area.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't like the blues..too strong..the channels in my area are very good eatting..

The minnows..any minnnows I'm sure will work.Our local tackle shop sells Missouri Minnows. and yes they are alive. We hook them carefully through both lips with a small hook like you would use on Crappie.#10 I believe.The inside mouth of a cat is very soft and the drag set properly you would have no problem reeling them in.,

What kind of guitar do you play? How long have you been playing ? WHat style do you play?

Here's a 12 pound blue cught on a Rooster tail while I was fishing for bass...thought I had a 10 pound bass on LOL bent my spinner like a pretzel.

Last edited by Chuck7; 07-16-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

if i use minnows, i put 2 smaller minnows on a hook. usually they are between 1.5 - 2.5 inches each