Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

which action to get

Old 05-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default which action to get

i think im gonna get an abu garcia vendetta i got a chance to pick it up and man is it light and it feels good in the hands but now i need to pick an action. i mailny fish spinnerbaits and texas rigs with the occasional crankbait and topwater, for the vendettas they have a 7ft medium action rod with moderate fast tip would it be good for my applications i could also get the 7ft medium heavy with a fast tip but im afraid the mh will be a broom stick can the medium is rated for 1/4-5/8 ounces and the medium heavy is rated for 1/2-3/4 ounces please help
Old 05-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

For your applications I would prolly go with the medium action rod. Although it would be hard to beat an ultra light action rod for any kind of fishing. It makes a small fish feel big and a big fish feel so much larger! Also plenty of give to the rod for playing them out with..
Old 05-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

texas rigged plastics and spinner baits really need two different flex speeds. I prefer a MH rod with a fast backbone/tip for texas rigs, and a M rod with a meduim-fast backbone for spinnerbaits and crankbaits. However, if you went with a fast action tip for all purposes, it would be hard to mess things up. The fast action rod is kinda the GM or FORD of fishing, regardless of the rod weight you are using for a given task, the "fast" backbone will generally get it done
Old 05-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea like Gangly said, I just want a fast action tip for the hookset. I prefer Medium heavy for soft plastics and for hard baits I would rather have a medium action. The medium action tends to keep fish hooked up better with hard baits.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd go 7 'medium....

A. More lure optioms..

B. Less line snaps on the hook sets.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I would agree with Chuck