Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Tubes?What's the best retrieve or is there a best? >

Tubes?What's the best retrieve or is there a best?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Tubes?What's the best retrieve or is there a best?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tubes?What's the best retrieve or is there a best?

I for some reason just discovered how excellent a bait they are specially for where I fish here in Missouri and as a tube rookie I was wondering about the retrieve.Is there a hard and fast rule or is it pretty much open to improvisation?I mean I fish a lot of plastic baits and I definitely vary my retrieve according to conditions and I'm wondering how the tubes lend themselves to this,any information will be greatly appreciated and might I add put to use.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find it hard to believe that nobody has an opinion or tip to share.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

i like the strike king pro tubes

i just flip them and hop them around cover and thru beds, just like regular plastics for me...they really shine when the bite is tough

BTW, i checked this forum last night and did not notice your post
Old 04-20-2010, 05:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I used Zoom pumpkinseed green 3 inch tubes last year..I attached a micro small split shot above it and the action was aweso0me..

I'd pitch it under a willow branch ..the tube would float but slowly fill with water ..took about 15 seconds and then slowly swim down to the bottom..I lost count of my hits...it was awesome..they would attack it swimming down..hooking the tube was a different story..took a while to figure out the best hook rig

When structure wasn't aqn issue I hooked it like a jig..hook sticking right out..caught my best tube bass like that..all others I tried burying the hook in the tube..had a hard time setting the hook..

Tubing is a great flipping technique when you know the fish are there..it is slower, but if the fish are there..fun and pretty darn good technique

Last edited by Chuck7; 04-20-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by m.t.hands
i like the strike king pro tubes

BTW, i checked this forum last night and did not notice your post

Hey buddy I meant nothing personal I was just amazed that it took so long for a coupla replies.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I didn;t notice the post either...but my best expereince has been flipping or pitching...I've caught zero casting but around 30 bass pitching /flipping..I don't use tubes alit unless the situation calls for it.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Tubes are also great for smallmouth on sand or gravel points, on a jighead just throw on structure and drag slow. Must look like a crawdad
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Amen...to the sandy bottom..our lakes have changed their bottoms and it no longer sand..thus why the tubes stay home.

I like using tubes on sandy or rocky bottoms..
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by caplock
Tubes are also great for smallmouth on sand or gravel points, on a jighead just throw on structure and drag slow. Must look like a crawdad

That's what I was doing I was just wondering how other folks done it.Most rivers here in Mo.have a rocky bottom and when it isn't rocky it will transition to sand(soft bottom)but never for very long.I fish a lot of crawdad type baits the tube gives me another tool with which to get after both small and largemouth.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love mizmo tubes. Ive tried just about every tube known to man, and the mizmo's still outproduce the others. I run a 1/16 oz jig head up into the tube, push the lie tie through. Just cast it out, and work it back in like a jig. you will get hung up, you will lose a few. But its an amazing crawfish imitation, and in the white and lighter colors, a very passable baitfish imitator. word of advice, pre rig about 15 tubes with jig heads, so your not wasting time if you break off on the water. I also put a few drops of megastrike paste into a bag of tubes when I buy them and allow it to soak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.