Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Most effective bait for stocked trout >

Most effective bait for stocked trout

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Most effective bait for stocked trout

Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Most effective bait for stocked trout

In your experience what is a favorite to use for stocked trout in creeks??
Thanks in advance for any replys...
Old 04-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a fly fisherman but I have seen more folks catch stocked trout with worms than anything else. Since trout are basically bottom feeders, I would recommend using a small split-shot sinker and try to keep the bait bouncing off the bottom. This will make it easier for the trout to realize the bait is nearby and they will not hesitate to pick it up off the creek bottom.

Good Luck
Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

x2 on the worms..
Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

What kind of trout are you talking about? How large are they? This stuff can make a difference. I am only familiar with brookies up here for the most part. I have seen small super dupers out perform worms before as well as flies and nymphs. So I am not sure if you will find any one thing that will work the best with them. I do have a friend that has a stocked pond with rainbows. He fishes with nothing but a fly rod with a barbless hook. In this case with all the grain he feeds them the worms do not work well at all. My self I love to fly fish for trout the most but most of my fishing is for natives though. But again the same holds true with them as well.. Good Luck on the trout fishing..
Old 04-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Worms fished with little to no weight. They are used to eating fish food thrown into the pond and slowly sink to the bottom. All fish like worms and they are colored much like the fish food.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

worms or about a half of a nightcrawler . I went out yesterday and got two within five minutes of each other on a nightcrawler my other pole had a salted minnow and didn't even get a nibble
Old 04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Those brookies bring back fond memories Phil...I remember haveing some panfried on a coleman grill in the outdooors of PA...
Good stuff
Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Around here we are only allowed to use artificial baits. I have found that small spinner's work very well. Occasionally, i have had luck with artificial worms, but they are rather stiff and unnatural floating in the creek's here.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have to agree - i have had real good luck fishing with worms on many trout( rainbows, browns, brookies) & many other fish.

Ya here they have a few blue ribbon & other areas where no bait is allowed also- then i move to plan B
Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Spike

Guys on the shore here have good luck with power bait trout nuggets. I've found good success in a gold Phoebe and a silver/gold Williams wobbler so far this year. I caught a decent 18" yesterday with the Williams wobbler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.