Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
2010 Spring Bass Tournament Sign Up >

2010 Spring Bass Tournament Sign Up

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

2010 Spring Bass Tournament Sign Up

Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Last year I put a spool on my open faced reel..It springs off like a SLINKY ....I use it as a leader...a bass between 3-5 lbs takes my spinner bait..drag is set nicely POP!! lose fish...finished with Trilene FLourocarbon...

Read an article about in in BASS Magazine..bought a new spool..set it up yesterday..First bass...the 6.4 in pic..made a nice run ..reared back snuggly but not over doing it..shap...retied...a hook...next cast..there she is again..handled her like I had 6 pound test...worked her to the net..200yds farther down the lake..BAM!! nice fish making a nice run..rod tip up....snap..ok now I'm ticked off. I never llitter but I didn't even want to look at this line ever again..I took it and tossed in the lake..
Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

haha, I would be furious after all of that as well.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Dominant Buck

yes sir..I hate missing bass for stupid reasons
Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

where was your line snapping? At the hook, at the leader knot, or somewhere in between?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Dominant Buck

actually...all three
Old 06-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idk what may be your problem, personally I like Vanish Flouro. Its held up fine for me and I have lost just as many on mono as I have on it.....
Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also use Berkley Vanish. Also, there are multiple types of Flouro, Vanish makes two types, Vanish Flouro, and Vanish Flouro with Leader Material written in small print below it. They are designed differenltly with different shock strengths. Make sure you arent getting the leader material flouro and using that to spool. The leader material is much stiffer per eqaual poundage rating. Also make sure you moisten the flouro before tightening down, it will get brittle if you dont. Not sure why Im posting though, if your done with flouro, then it doesnt really matter anymore, haha.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Not sure why Im posting though, if your done with flouro, then it doesnt really matter anymore, haha. Aaron

You are correct..I'm done..one main reason..I like as few knots as possilble..to tie on a leader is 2 more knots..2 more possilble places to break off..This year my hook set ratio has been the best ever..On every fish I pretend likes it's a 20 inch 5 pound fish ...that has helped 100% ..no more whimpy hook sets..doesn't matter if it's a Rooster Tail fish or worm..with the exception of shiner fishing..I shiner fish much like crappie..I feel the fish ..rod bent..PULL SET LIKE IT"S a 5 POUNDER..but I wait till I feel a solid fish..

2nd most important adjustment I had to make..my drag has been too tight..sure it feels fine..I can pull the line out with my hand..but sudden shocks from the bottom of the lake to the spool..different story..and if I'm setting the "5 pounder' I'm sticking the hook in good..once the fish is on I can always adjust the tention somehow..either riding the spool with my thumb or adjusting the drag tighter..been working real good so far..I have no idea how I lost my monster spinner bait fish on my last outing...the only thing I can suspect is that I need to retie more often
Old 07-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unfortunately this smallmouth was hooked bad and i didn't have my camera with me. So I brought it home to give to a friends father in law. 1 smallmouth 17and 1/3 inches long. Just shy of 3 1/2 lbs. So I am calling it 3 1/3 lbs. I am not sure how to put it by your figures but here is a try.. 3.33lbs..
Here the pic from home.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 07-02-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Way to go Phil..your in first place so far this year. [ -;

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.