Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Trout streams in Tioga county Pa >

Trout streams in Tioga county Pa

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Trout streams in Tioga county Pa

Old 01-07-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kettle is one of my favorites also... I usually fish it opening weekend with a couple of buddies... Early season we fish weighted nymphs and on a good day we may land 30 or more trout apiece, mostly stocked rainbows, but with enough browns thrown in to make it interesting... I think the fish will hit most anything that looks "buggy" but some of my favorties are Olive hare's ear, Prince and pheasant tail, in sizes from 12 to 16...

Some of the tribs of Kettle offer excellent, less crowded fishing with a good number of wild fish...Two of them I like are Cross Fork Creek, which flows into Kettle at the little villiage of Cross Fork, and Hammersly Fork, which flows in a few miles downstream..
Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

Let's get Bow-For-It all primed up with some pictures from the Kettle. BTW Bow.....the outlet of Tioga Hammond has some excellent perch fishing there in the village of Tioga.

Actually, this first picture is on the Pine. Was making a sneak on an November surface feeder I think.

A productive riffle on the Kettle....

The following pictures are from an annual get together in Cross Fork on the Kettle at the camp of a guy named Karl Power. We call it the Kettle Creek Summit.

Karl Gebhart(a great tyer), Bob Ballyntyne and Karl Power planning low water plans of attack.....

Power and Ballyntyne into the thick of a March Brown hatch...

Ballyntyne scores on one of my Wonder Wing March Browns....

He even had an audience.....

Soon it was time for the old master, Karl Gebhart to come along.....

And it didn't take him long to get into fish.....

Next it was Dave Wolfs turn......

Before we knew it, it was suppertime and Karl Power cooked up backstraps at his streamside fireplace....

The rainy evening was spent tying flies and shooting the bull....

DANG IT! IS IT MAY YET?

Last edited by ManySpurs; 01-23-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pictures, Manyspurs... Thanks for sharing...

Interesting wing on your "Wonderwing March Brown "...

Are they sections from a pea**** eye..??..

Nice "buggy" looking fly... I admire your talent...
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Pygmy. The Wonder Wings are my best selling fly, and I tie a bunch of them each season. The particular feathers that you see on the wing of that fly in the picture are from a pheasant. But I use all kinds of feathers for the wing including mallard flank, wooduck, saddle hackle etc etc etc......

Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info, Manyspurs..

My fishing buddies and I might give you some business....Do you have a retail shop or just sell mail order..??..

If you have a shop I'll make it a point to stop by...
Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

I don't have a shop because I'd not enjoy being tied down during spring gobbler and fishing seasons. But I've found a niche that overseas fly companies can't and don't offer, and I supply several mainline flyshops throughout Pa with these flies. I also tie for 2 high end flyfishing clubs in the Poconos that keeps me pretty busy.

I can always fill custom orders by mail though. If you are buying from a shop, I can generally save a person about $.35-$.50 per fly. If you are ordering imports from overseas through the internet, I can't compete.

Last edited by ManySpurs; 01-25-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ManySpurs
I don't have a shop because I'd not enjoy being tied down during spring gobbler and fishing seasons. But I've found a niche that overseas fly companies can't and don't offer, and I supply several mainline flyshops throughout Pa with these flies. I also tie for 2 high end flyfishing clubs in the Poconos that keeps me pretty busy.

I can always fill custom orders by mail though. If you are buying from a shop, I can generally save a person about $.35-$.50 per fly. If you are ordering imports from overseas through the internet, I can't compete.
I'm not surprised at that, but I'm sure the quality of your product is superior..

Besides, I'd rather give my business to a local fellow sportsman rather than send my $$ to Boogla-Boogla somewhere overseas....
Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Great pics ManySpurs. They definately get the fishing juices flowing. The stream that runs through Tioga you speak of...would that happen to be crooked creek that runs under 287? Are there trout in there also? I seen a bunch of guys ice fishing on the north end of Hammond saturday.