Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Ice fishing gear - what to get? >

Ice fishing gear - what to get?

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Ice fishing gear - what to get?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Spike

Default Ice fishing gear - what to get?

Hi everyone

My husband loves to fish, but over the years he's moved away from it simply due to lack of time and working so much. We live in a lake town and they do a lot of ice fishing here. He has commented on many occasions that he would like to try ice fishing as he never has. For Christmas this year I would like to get the gear he would need to do some basic starter ice fishing. I know my sons would love it too.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what to get? The types of fish in our lakes are largemouth and smallmouth bass, walleye, northern pike, panfish, and bluegill, among others. I'd really like to surprise him this Christmas, he works hard and deserves to get back to fishing as I know how much he loves it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

REAALLLLLLY good boots
Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the forums...

Ice auger or chisel some tip-ups, jig stick, ladel, and a bait bucket.. It takes a bit to get started and you can use a couple of bushes and some fishing line in place of tip-ups..
Old 09-30-2009, 03:08 AM
Spike

Thanks so much for the quick replies, and the welcome Any suggestions on where to buy? We have Dick's Sporting Goods here and Gander Mountain. Those are the two I can think of, I am assuming these things are probably available at WalMart too??

Any guess on roughly how much I will probably spend?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to go big, a Flasher or Finder would set him up right. But then your looking at spending $300 on just that. Otherwise, I would suggest:

6" Ice Auger
Ice Fishing Bucket/Sled to carry supplies
Tip-ups
Panfish rod
Small box to put trebels, teardrops, splitshots, etc. (Maybe some of these if he doesn't already have them.)

If you have a local baitshop, I would go and talk to them. They may be able to point you in the right direction. Don't be affraid to price around though, some Local shops are WAY over priced, and some have GREAT deals.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by buckhunter14
If you have a local baitshop, I would go and talk to them. They may be able to point you in the right direction. Don't be affraid to price around though, some Local shops are WAY over priced, and some have GREAT deals.

Good luck.
There are definitely a couple of those here, thanks so much for the help!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Good warm apparell. If he'll be fishing for pike and walleye hes definitely not gonna want a 6'' auger..atleast 8''..we use 10'' for those donk northerns Set of tip ups, however many you can use in your area..get him stick tip ups to start out with, they are very easy to use for starters..a jigging rod. You can also find little 1-3 man portable shelters for not very much. maybe a jet sled..to be honest with you you probably wont spend very little $$ if you want your husband to be completely set up to ice fish :/.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

X2 on the 8". I use a 10" auger because of the size of the northerns and walleye here. Wally wierd should have all of the items that you need to get started. Buddy of mine uses tipups with 200 lb test dacron, and has on occasion had his line broke. There is 100 lb+ sturgeon in the depths around here.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:35 AM
Spike

Wow, not sure of the biggest ones around here, will have to ask around. Thanks so much you guys!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are just looking to get him enough stuff to get started with you should easily be able to do that for $100-$150. A StrikeMaster Mora hand auger will run you $50 at any Gander or Bass Pro. A $10 tipup or two and a $20 panfish rod/reel combo will do the trick for now. Other then that a few jigs/hooks/weights and a bucket to carry it all in and he will be all set.

Depending on where you live I can probably get help also. I am a member of the Ice Team Powersticks. We do seminars and clinics all over the midwest throughout the winter. If any other Powersticks are in the same area as you I am sure they would love to get out on the ice with your husband to give him some pointers and help him locate fish. I do it all the time for new fisherman and absolutly love doing it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.