Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fall Go-To Lures

Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to love rooster tails for just about anything. Early spring trout fishing when the streams are still cold and when everyone else is working red wigglers slowly on the bottom, try a #2 or #3 black rooster tail with a worm on the hook. When trolling for crappie I put out one line with a small yellow rooster tail. Some days it doesn't matter what you use, and most days a 1/16 oz jig with a kalins tail outfishes all else, but on those days when nothing is biting the rooster tail will put a few in the box. No matter what I'm fishing for I never go home empty handed until I try a rooster tail.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm a solid Rooster tail man and usually order about 12 at a time but there are some pros and cons..

Pros..the hooks are hidden and this 3/8 th model looks like a helpless bait fish
........Cast a mile.
........Easily fished at any depth consistanlty..if your good{ -:
........catches any spieces that swims..
........Great for schooling fish..I once caught 23 bass in 15 minutes..it was every cast.
.......Great lure for white bass / Florida sunshine bass
Cons
.......the entire lure rotates causing terrible line kinks within 30 minutes...therefore i only use mine about 20 minutes and then use a different lure to straighten line.
......hooks are small and fish can easily shake hooks.{Bummer}
......white hackle darkens fast and the hairs rot/disappear fast as well { Bummer}
......can't be fished in weeds..or mucky bottom
......willow leaf tarnishes fast as well to a dull brown finish..

OVER ALL still one of my best go to lures..leaave new in the package until you are ready to fish.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chuck, this is why i mentioned the pop "r" this day we caught 50-60 fish, most were only 1-2 pounders though, every now and then one like this would show up, but it is a blast

Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey ...nice picture. and right after you mentioned the pop r I went out and bought some..Looks like you lost some weight too..{ -:

Must have been a great day..I've never got 50 in one day before....I thnk my best was 27.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey Chuck right now you can catch 75 plus in a day if you stayed all day, we only fished 6 hours, granted some of the fish are peanuts, but catching them up top, it just dosen't matter,,

our best five that day may have weigh 17-18#, but the numbers are whats so unreal, they are busting shad everywhere, i picked a fluke up out of the water the other day and a 2 pounder was trying to nail it while it was comming out of the water, scared the fire out of the misses
Old 09-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like I need to be out on the water..I plan to bow hunt this Sat....I 'll probably start back to fishing when the crappie begin spawning..early.Nov..
Old 09-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice fish MT. I'm still O-fer. Went out again last weekend for 2.5 hours, not even a hit this time.

I sure wouldnt mind having a day where i hooked up with 75 plus

congrats again MT
Old 09-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea i went out yesterday and it was a little slow. did end up landing a nice 2.5 pounder in my heavy cover spinnerbait. man i wish they still made these. they will catch something no matter what the conditions for me at least.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fall go to lures are some Top waters like poppers, buzzbaits, and walk the dog baits. Spinnerbaits and worms also rank up there. Nice fish MT sounds like yall did have a blast. Id love to go bass fishing right now, but with 5 inches of rain the other day and easily 3 to 4 today, our rivers look like chocolate milk and the fish arent bitin so hot right now, salt or fresh.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm starting to get the fishing itch too..for crappie..{ -:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.