Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fall Go-To Lures

Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fall Go-To Lures

Fall is coming upon us and its time to switch up lures and tactics for a lot of us.

What are your Fall go-to lures and why?

What presentations do you strive for?

How long do you wait before utilizing them?

This is my first fall season fishing for LMB so I really don't have much to offer and would like ya'lls opinions for reference. The top water bait is still going on in my area so I havent had to try anything new, but in the next month or two that should change. The shad die-off hasnt started yet, but when it does I'll be throwing a bunch of wounded minnow baits (Rapala F-series and Rebel Minnows) hoping to cash in on that, and then going to some finnesse worms and jigs as the water really starts to cool down.

Ive read where crankbaits don't work in cold water, but in a BASS article i read recently, one of the pro's was pulling the fish in with some crankbaits in relatively shallow water when the water temperature was in the mid 30's and the air temperature was in the teens if I remember correctly. Has anybody else had success with crankbaits in the winter?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

What are your Fall go-to lures and why? top waters, anything, spinnerbait, flukes, why??? cause bass are feeding up in the fall

What presentations do you strive for? spinnerbait just under the surface, wakeing it, shad imitating, evrything else fish it like its fleeing for its life, cause in a bass'es world it is

How long do you wait before utilizing them? not really sure what your asking,,,

BTW, i had a fish follow a fluke out of the water saturday, and caught a bunch on buzz-baits and other top-water baits
Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

i guess what i meant was, how long into the year do you wait before starting to fish your fall weather tackle? What signs do you look for when determining if the fall weather tactics are ready to be used? Im sure its a slow transition, but when does the transition start for everybody?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

late summer, early fall, i start looking for schooling fish, and activity going back in the creeks, the bait and birds will give you ideas where and what the fish are doing...fall fishing can be a blast, but it always seems there is a lull in the action during the transition from summer to fall patterns, at least for me, but our water temps are getting right, and the fish must be feeling good cause the activity is picking up....

good luck hope they act right for you...
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shallow shallow shallow. i have been catching most of my fish in less than 3 feet of water i like to wake a spinnerbait about 4 feet out from the shoreline in the shallows of a cove.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Down size ...
3/8 ounce Rooster tail WHITE
3/16 ounce Tiny Terminator WHITE willow leaf..
71/2" inch Culpret black worm, Christmas Tree or Fire and Ice.
Horny Toad over weeds is always good..or fluke..
Old 09-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have arkansas shiner and white flukes, several black and one red rooster tail, and a couple various worms with the only black worm being a GYCB Senko.

I was thinking about the flukes yesterday and today because of the shad die-off that should be coming soon, and the fact that a lot of the baitfish are getting large by now.

Will give the black and the red rooster tails some time in the water to see if they produce, but Im thinking white or silver would be best this time of year as well.

The Senko is actually junebug (black with blue flake) so I will give them a try, though I havent had too much luck with them lately. Iv'e tried wacky, but maybe Ill try texas rigged weightless as well on a 4/0 to see if that works.

Will definately go with the horny toad again as well. Ive never struck out completely on it before, so its record in the past automaticlly gets it included in my next outing

Thanks for the suggestions Chuck!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

remember on the Rooster..fish it about a foot off the bottom..
Old 09-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

didnt know that, will be sure to try and consistantly do that
Old 09-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..If I see a school of bass jumping I'll cast ahead of them and keep the Rooster about a foor underneath the top.

BUT mostly..I count down to see how deep the water is..and let the Rooster touch the bottom..then I sweep the rod to get the willow leaf turning..and reel just fast enough to make sure spinner is spnning correctly / keeping it about a foot off the bottom..Every monster was caught like this..
It's also the easiest lure for fish to shake. so keep a tight line.

I try to match the hatch..our bass mostly fish on small 2 inch gizzard shad...thus the reason why most of my spinner baits are white.
Good luck
C7

Every bass I 've hooked over 10 pounds was hooked on a Rooster Tail..I've changed the hooks on mine though to one size bigger and red..that diffently seemed to generate a few more strikes..

Last edited by Chuck7; 09-20-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.