Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

fishing for bas tips

Old 08-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Spike

Default fishing for bas tips

ive never been any good at so i was wondering if yall had some tips that could help me
Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Relax, and have the mind set, that every time you cast, that the biggest bass ever is about to bite your hook.
Fishing is supossed to be fun, look at it like its the funnest thing in the world.

Use what looks nateral to nature, the kind of thing that a bass, or what ever you are fishing for would naterualy eat.

But most of all have the mind set, that today is the day, for a monster fish.
Go and have fun, after all thats what its all about.

And look for things in the water, grass, lilly pads, what ever is in the water.
And either put your lure, or worm, or spinner, past, or on, or beside what ever it is.
Big fish like to hide, and waite for smaller fish to eat.

Remember have fun.

jrbsr
Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

this topic should provide some useful reading material.

My skills are limited considering that I havent fished for LMB near as long as others on here, but my absolute best piece of advice is to fish cover. Anything that could possibly offer a bass something to hide behind, beside, or under should be fished extensively. Underwater trees, laydowns, brushpiles, docks, boats, trash, lillypads, weeds, ANYTHING. If you are in a body of water with limited cover, you can garuntee that what little cover there is will have a bass hiding in it. They are ambush predators, and therefore require an object to ambush from for the most part. I've read where bass go deep in the summer heat, but that hasnt been my experience so far. I catch most along weedlines and lilly pads along the banks. Also, if you catch a LMB, gut him and look at what he is eating. They will eat just about anything available, so looking at his stomache contents will show you what the natural baits available in that body of water are. If you can find out what they are eating, you have doubled your chances of catching one. Lastly, it's best to put the lure/bait close to where the bass are. Sometimes you can cast within 5 feet of them and they wont budge, but cast it within 1 foot of them, and they will hit it with a voracity like no other. Being an ambush predator, they generally dont care to move much out of there way for a lure, but prefer instead for one to come to them. With that being said however, once you have gotten the bass' interest, they might follow a lure all the way back to the boat before hitting it. Its just a matter of getting the fish to become interested in the bait initially. Best of luck trying them out, and give some topwater baits a try. Once you get a topwater hit from a bass, thats all she wrote, you'll be hooked.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

1.) Read Magazines, Online Magazines, Online Articles, Online Blogs.

2.) GO out and do it. Fish whenever you get the chance. Talk to everyone you meet on the water. Always inquire in an intelligent fashion.

3.) Learn where the fish are in the body of water, and WHY they are there. This will teach you what to use, why to use it, how to use it, when it use it.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Spike

well,thanks guys this is very helpful keep up
Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

go early stay late

join a club like oneshot mentioned, you don't have to have a boat in most you can go as a "non-boater", most clubs end up with way more boaters than non's, you can learn a lot really quickly...
Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok there are alot of factors that go into bass fishing. how big is the body of water? water temp? water clarity? sunny or overcast. what kind of structure is there? what kind of cover.? Is there a current?

But mainly like most said is always be ready. sometimes they will hit it so hard it will take the pole out your hands and then you wont even be able to tell there is one on.
Most of all have fun and dont get discouraged. if ya have any specific questions let us know.

You can also check out www.bassresource.com its full of info even has some videos of how to use certain baits.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Being a bass club member since 1978 i can safely say that the quickest way is to join a bass club. Many club members have fished bass for a long time and you certainly can pick up on the many tricks and knowledge very quickly. Good luck
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

www.ultimatebass.com and www.bassresource.com are two that I regularly check out. Ultimate Bass is smaller, but the guys there are VERY knowledgable with many of them actively hitting the tournaments and actually winning a few.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I self-taught myself..as a kid by reading magazines like Field and Stream..Outdoor Life and Sports Afield..

Now a days..every state puts out thier own fishing magazines..I would read them..not only will they tell you how to fish but where to fish..

The most popular artificial bass lure is the rubber worm fished Texas Rig...Go to Youtube and type in Texas Rig Worm Fishing..ot on the net..and learn that rig..
Walmart sells Zoom worms..I'd start with a 6 or7 inch dark colored worm

Joining a bass club is somewhat expensive..if you can afford it that may be ok..I wouldn't go that route..because I'm pretty much a loner.

Go to your local tackle shop..they told me how to fish the Texas Rig rubber worm..
Bass love structure and water depths between 3-10 foot deep...or deeper water where there is structure..
Examples of structure...
Islands
Weeds
lily pads
Rocks
stumps
hydrilla
underneath tree limbs along the shoreline.

God bless,
C7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.