Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

great akes salmon?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default great akes salmon?

anyone go without trolling? i was thinking of going but dont have planers and downriggers and was wondering if i could just drop live bait down 40 ft and give a slow troll? anyone think this will work for salmon? and does anyone have any tips? thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do not know about the great lakes for as far as fishing goes.. But, they sure have a lot of nice fishing in those areas that is for sure.. I do think if you know what depth they are at that drifting with some live bait would do the trick. Either have your bait right in the range they are at or five feet above them.. I normally shoot for two to five feet above them and it works pretty decent up here.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

thanks phil from maine!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

hurley; which Great Lake are you planning to fish and what time of year? If it is lake Ontario in September thru October,I may be able to help you.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hurley, we have been doing very good in Lake Michigan out of Central-Western Michigan.

Without weight it is very difficult. you may let out 60 foot of line, but if you troll, even very slowly, your bait will raise a large amount. Fishing if fishing though, so anything is worth a try to wet a line.

A tip for you may be to use LEADCORE. Google this and read up on it. It is fishing line with a leadcore center and ever 10 yards it changes to a different color. I believe every 10 yards of line you release, that depth increases by 5 feet or something. For example, if you let 100 yards of line out, you are fishing 50 foot.

Just research the information for better results.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Dominant Buck

If you are going to Lake Ontario try the rivers in September. They are all usually chuck full of spawning kings and coho salmon. Easy to catch and lots of room to fish. Expect some crowds though but it is still fun.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

room to fish isnt exactly the truth you should see the salmon river in ny
Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 AM
Fork Horn

thanks guys, Ill be on lake michigan. i planed on using some split shot or bullettype wieghts to help get the line down. will that not work to get the line down there?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
room to fish isnt exactly the truth you should see the salmon river in ny
True it is crowded but there are places on the river that are a ways away from access and sometimes you can have it to yourself. All the rivers around there have a run and they are less crowded than the Salmon River.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

You absolutely correct Champlain! Especially Monday through Thursday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.