Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

great akes salmon?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Dominant Buck

In the early years (70's through the early 90's) we went there to fish for steelhead all winter. When late August came and then in September we went there and fished all around the Salmon River mouth both in boats and from shore. Back then before the paid access at the Dougleston Run we used to fish that whole stretch from the lake to the Black Hole without many people being around. We parked in that field on the north side of the river below town and had all that water pretty much to ourselves. Then after a few years they put a person down there and charged 2 bucks a car, then it was 2 bucks a person then 3 and then it was 20 per day and now it is 30 per day per person and they only give out limited numbers. Other areas we fished were the short bridge, tall bridge, behind the ball park, and then some selected areas above town all the way to the school house pool. When we first started to go there hotels were few and just about the only place in town was the Log cabin bar and hotel. We used to group up in a room and sleep on the floor and drink in the bar. We used to eat there and at Frick and Fracks, and at another place on the corner at the left turn in town going towards the hatchery. I remember when the Mickey D's went in and it was so crowded at 5:30 in the morning. The guy said at the time it did more business than any other east coast golden arches. Back then we could pitch a tent almost anywhere and often did right in town in the park or ball field. Other times we went to selkirk shores. One of my friends even drove an old school bus out there and convinced a farmer to let him park it there and we all used that. Those were the days. I haven't fished it in quite a few years but went through town this year on the way back from Colorado 3 weeks ago. Lots of places to stay and eateries now.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

We fish mostly west of Rochester. Have been since early eighties. First five years we fished out of a boat trolling the rivers. Since then,it has been all fly fishing. Spring trips for Steelhead and fall trips for the big three. Salmon,Browns and Steelies. First three years we slept in the beds of our pickups. They had a local truck stop facilities where we showered and we would hit a local laundry mat to clean our clothes. Also had to pay for parking to fish. Started at a dollar,then up to twenty. It was our second spring trip for Steelhead that a local farmer started a bed & breakfast. He had added on to his house, a walk in mud room and laundry room. Upstairs where the bedrooms and bath. Years ago, we became very good friends with the owner. Over the years,he and his sons have come to Pa. to stay with us and hunt deer. Still kinda amazed about this one! Over thirteen years ago,our friends wife passed away. He remarried. On our trips,one night out of the week,we took our friend and his family out for dinner. It was our friends second year of marriage to his new wife,while out for dinner,he made the announcement "I'm building a new house for myself and my new wife. But I also want my new wife, my sons and my friends to know this. The old farm house is always to be their for Greg,Joe and the rest of their buddies,to always have a place to stay when they come hear." That just blew us away! But back to the fishing. Yeah,times have changed.The Kings have gotten smaller on average since we first started fishing Ontario. But, lots of them and still get a few over twenty pounds. Plus the big Browns and Steelhed. Still great fishing!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

In the very early 80's I took my boat out there. It was a 22 foot starcraft center console with 4 big John electrics and all the planer gear etc. It was the first time out on the broad lake and it was in August. We went out about 5 miles in over 100 feet of water west of Polaski. I was using the tackle we used on Champlain and I had a 9' med action down rigger rod with a level wind reel and 10 pound maxima line. I had on a jointed rebel rainbow color and got a release. The line screamed off the reel and I fought that fish for about 1/2 hour and we actually had to chase it because of the lite tackle. I finally got it in and my bud reached out with the 8'-10' net I had on the boat and lifted and the handle bent down into a u and broke. We learned pretty quickly to grab the hoop and pull it in. The fish weghed 30+ pounds and was my first broad lake King Salmon.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-02-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

anymore advice?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

No splitshots or bullet sinkers will not get you to the fish.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hit some garage sales or look on craigslist for some deals on down riggers etc. It's worth the in investment.

You can also use dipsy divers to get your line down and away from the boat.

The first Salmon I every caught was on a J-plug without any weight, didn't even have a rod holder, almost lost the rod but, I was hooked after that.

CI, Every watch the sun go down at Rainbow shores restaurant?
Attached Thumbnails great akes salmon?-dipsy.jpg