HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Rain Rain Rain /lets talk about them flukes.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/296966-rain-rain-rain-lets-talk-about-them-flukes.html)

Chuck7 07-01-2009 04:50 AM

Rain Rain Rain /lets talk about them flukes..

Well..yesterday as a big strom approached I had to dump out alot of shiners..and they aint cheap.[8D]

I noticed on the radar that rain was in the forecast ..and real early so I went artificial..

Here 's the deal..

6:10 till 7:00 fished Horny Toad exclusively..one tiny stir..
While it was still in the early dawn..I saw a stump in the middle of the island of matted hydrilla..I made a long cast and right before the toad landed on the stump..the stump exploded on my taod..[:-]the stump turned out ot be a gator head..that was the excitement for the day:D

7;00 Spinner bait and Rapala...nothing
7:15 tied on an Arkansas FLuke...with no weight..and I .lost 8 fish.[&:].they love the fluke but I'm still learning to set the hook..It's not like the toad or worm in which the fish swallows the bait..runs and you set the hook..It's been my expereince with the fluke that you have only about 1.5 seconds MAX and she drops it like a hot potato..I was still excited about all those hits..My son works with a very good fishermen { The only one who has beat me so far[&o]" His name is Jay...Jay got 18 on his last outing at Saddle Creek..2 on the toad and 16 on the fluke..He says when the line moves to cross ther eyes..
Is that what you all do too? oh...and Matt says he still misses alot.too;)he likes Matt alot and takes him fishing,

8:00 Went home..poured down raining..We need it though and I'm thankful.

Question..How do you all set the hook on a fluke??

Gangly 07-01-2009 06:18 AM

RE: Rain Rain Rain /lets talk about them flukes..

I have some in White Pearl thata friend of mine seems to be able to utilize, but I can't seem to pull the trigger with them. Granted I dont fish them much, and I probably should considering he can consistantly catchbass with them. Not a lot or often, but on a consistant basis. He fishes them weightless, in the top 1-3 feet of water, above rocky surfaces,with a constant twitching retrieve,with some success. I didnt bring my tackle bag to work, but i believe they are pearl white or white pearl, something along those lines. As far as setting the hook, I have yet to have a chance at doing so :)

m.t.hands 07-01-2009 06:39 AM

He says when the line moves to cross ther eyes..
some days a fish will hang on forever, i have reeled fish up to the boat W/O a hook while pre-fishing, never letting go till the see the boat, some days you'd be amazed at what it will take to "shake-off" a fish[:-], other days they barely give you a chance[:@][&o]...but heres the main thing, if you feel something , or see your line jump/move or anything out of the norm, where do you think that bait is;), i assure you it ain't in a fishes hand;)....

go watch some feeding bass in a aquarium, or rent the movie bigmouth, when a bass flares his gills i believe it takes like 1/30 of a second, they also exhale pretty quickly, when in doubt, zero out...

a fish will hold on to a fluke as long as anything else, heavy pressured fish seem the worst for me[:@][&o], only giving you a split second to capitalize[&:]..

are you standing when this is going on, reason i ask is i have watched fish take many types of finesse baits and swim around the boat all day, sometimes you see a flash of a fish other times you'll just see your line moving, remember you doing it for fun, its about survivial for the fish;)as soon as he suspects somethings up its over, some days they are a little dumber than other days, thank goodness or we'd probably never catch any[&:];):D:D

gangly i love the pearl white, the ale wife, andrainbow trout colors;)

Chuck7 07-01-2009 07:59 AM

OK..here's what I learned works best to get strikes..hold rod side ways ..twitch ..let fall fall fall twitch fall fall fall 3 of theses falls is about a 12 inch drop at best..I've seen the fish come out and attack them

PROBLEM...I had too much slack..I immediatedly switched out the medium rod to the medium heavy 7 foot..I knew I needed more umph. stilll...no hook sets. I did get one about 30 inches from the boat..shook off real easy..BUT it's probably the best top water bait out there..I also noticed most fish were small.

Here's what I think would sovle the line slack problem..Keep the rod tip between 1 and 2 o-clock and straight toward the fish when twitching..this way.. a one second pick up is a straight line..toward the fish.

Before I had my rod at 3 :00 and pointed at a 45 degree angle away from the fish..this takes too much time getting out the slack to drive home the point..I'm trying that tomorrow.If anyone wants to join me..be at my house tomorrow for some Dunkin Donut Coffee at 5:00 AM .Action guaranteed..
[8D]
The color I got looks just like the real deal..Arkansas Shiner Salty
I'm buying a bunch more..in 19 minutes..[8D]they work better than any of the others I've tried..GO ZOOM;)

marlin30/30_drabe 07-01-2009 08:06 AM

up here the white flukes work good for bass but also you get bit off a lot by the pike and pickeral they like them white flukes

m.t.hands 07-01-2009 08:24 AM

The color I got looks just like the real deal..Arkansas Shiner Salty
thats close to alewife just a little darker;)

Chuck7 07-01-2009 08:24 AM

Well,
I've had a change of heart..I used ot think the rubber worm was the best all time bait..

I'd say the fluke is a good tie..

The rubber worm is good for the slow bite..but to cover water quick..weeds..or deep Carolina Rig..you can't beat a fluke..for me..the rubber worm is when fishing is extremely slow..and you got the patience to bump bump bump ..

BUT for the rest of the summer..when I fish articial..I'll fish the fluke 70 % of the time..it's that good..HOrny Toad will hit the water first..because it attracts BIG fish..and then the fluke will be the clean up batter

Chuck7 07-01-2009 08:26 AM

Gone to Walmart..be back soon,
;)

Oneshot7 07-01-2009 11:08 AM

Never had much luck ont he Arkansas Shiner, but I try to match the hatch. Smokin' Shad, Baitfish, Babybass, Bubblegum, and Pearl have always produced the most for me, but I promise you that if I dont know how to fish anything else, I can fish a Fluke, caught the most bass on them, caught my personal best on them, it is my go to bait with a Senko right behind it. I have fished it every way you can think of weightless, from extremely slow to fast as I could, and I have yet to find a way that it will not catch fish. Its whatI have lost both of my 6+ lb fish on this year. [:@]

Chuck7 07-01-2009 12:39 PM

Well then Oneshot,,wil you please answer the question.[8D]

How do you set the hook on them?