Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Baitcaster ?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default Baitcaster ?

Would too much fishing line on a baitcaster cause it to backlash?
Thank You
jrbsr
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baitcaster ?

I thought for a while tht i might have had too much string on one of my baitcasters because of the amount of backlashes that i got everytime i cast it, but i realized it wasnt the amound of line that i had, it was the tension with which i put it on. If i put the line on the baitcaster without much initial tension, I could almost garuntee you that i would ge some backlash in the first 2-3 casts and have to start all over again. After making sure that i put the string on with some tension, I noticed a significant decrease in my backlashes.

Wouldnt I know it that if I had read the instructions, I would have known that it reccomends making sure the line is tight when spooling it up [8D]
Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes..and real bad..should be about 1/8th inch of spool showing..no matter how good you are,,,it will backlash..lesson learned last week..[&:]
Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Yes. It happens to the best of us.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

i have noticed that braid casts better than mono or floro i started using and today i got no backlashes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

overspooling the reel with too much line causes backsash....like chuck said leave it about an 1/8 inch from the tippi top.

when you spool your line hold the Rod infront of the reel while holding the line between your thumb and forefinger (to put some tension onthe line)while you crank with the other hand.

or you can use a vice with a screwdriver....Put the spool on the screwdriver and then throw a towel over the Spool or line(to ad tention....and also back in the day some mono line had a chalky film on it, using the towel would get rid of that.)

Fresh mono is the best casting line IMO...when you get over the 20 LB test it starts to not cast so good because of the stiffness/diameter. mono in the 12-17 lb range is ideal all purpose line. amd casts great
Old 06-17-2009, 02:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Me thinks the best way to cast one is to bring it way back and then suddenly bring ahead real quick.. When you get ready to hit the release button do not do it. Just let go of the rod and watch it fly.. I just can not use one of them at all....[>:]