HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Steelhead Anyone? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/289807-steelhead-anyone.html)

buckhunter14 03-21-2009 06:49 PM

Steelhead Anyone?

Anyone been hitting Steelhead lately on the tributaries here in the Midwest, East, or West Coast?

Winter fish have been in the system a while and new fish are entering daily.

Been fishing deeper holes as very fish fish are on the gravel yet. Key has been black jigs tipped with wax worms. Today I did begin to have strikes on spawn bags.

Last Tuesday went 1 for 2, landing a five pound male.
Last Wednesday went 2 for 3, landing a four pound male and five pound female.
Today went 4 for 5 with some friends, landing three very nice hens.

Good luck everyone, the best is yet to come around here.

marlin30/30_drabe 03-22-2009 04:32 PM

RE: Steelhead Anyone?

been trying here in new york a few bite but no fish mostly spawn bags and globugs

bullelk1 03-29-2009 01:17 PM

Hooked 5 and landed 4 on Thursday in the Salmon River, Idaho.

fire3517 03-30-2009 05:00 PM

Buckhunter14 heading to the Rouge River in Rockford friday heard they were in there pretty good from the bait shop lots of fresh fish also sounds like its gonna be pretty good first trip this year for steelies can't wait

buckhunter14 03-30-2009 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: fire3517

Buckhunter14 heading to the Rouge River in Rockford friday heard they were in there pretty good from the bait shop lots of fresh fish also sounds like its gonna be pretty good first trip this year for steelies can't wait

fire3517, I live very close to the Rouge River, it is my home river. How'd you do today? Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information. The fish have just turned on VERY heavily in the past 48 hours. Between a few very good Steelheaders and myself, we went 24 for 38 in the past two days. Many other people obviously catching fish. The next few days should be superb.

buckhunter14 03-30-2009 05:24 PM

Also, if you are reffering to the bait shop in Rockford, their motto is something along the lines of "The fish are always in" They will do anything to get some business.

fire3517 03-31-2009 02:35 PM

buckhunter14 we are going this friday so the fish are really in good. I love fishing the Rouge we always have good luck there.

buckhunter14 03-31-2009 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: fire3517

buckhunter14 we are going this friday so the fish are really in good. I love fishing the Rouge we always have good luck there.
Fish deffinately peaked yesterday (Monday), but there will be more pushes of fish. The water temperature has dropped about nine degrees since the new rain and has pushed a lot of fish off beds. Monday there were about 4 or 5 fish per bed, today much of the gravel was empty. Empty gravel just makes hole fishing all that much better.

Warmer water temps will put fish on the beds.

Good luck on Friday, I'll be working... [:-]

lrhuntr 03-31-2009 06:10 PM

Just starting run over here in Wisconsin. I'll be out in the A.M.

Good luck everybody. ;)

buckhunter14 04-01-2009 07:30 AM

Hit them very well this morning. Had some rain which was good, but dropped the water temps almost 9 degrees. Deffinately pushed some fish off gravel and back into the holes.

I went 4 for 5 this AM. Some very beautiful fish.

Fished with two buddies and they went 0 for 3, and 1 for 11 or something. Awesome morning.