Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 how do i use my new baitcaster >

how do i use my new baitcaster

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

how do i use my new baitcaster

Old 04-18-2003, 04:24 PM

Default how do i use my new baitcaster

I bought my first baitcaster the other day. I put some line in it and went outside to try it out, and i could only cast it about 6 ft. Also, i could pull the line out and nothing would stop it. Any suggestions
Old 04-18-2003, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how do i use my new baitcaster

There should be an adjusting screw on the side opposite the handle,check your directions,tie a lure on an loosen it to make the lure drop. But just tight enough so that the spool stops when the lure hits the ground. also when casting hold the reel sort of sideways that should help your distance. Hope you can make it work as I haven' t fished with one in a long time. I am asuming were talking about a push button Baitcaster for bass. If not then keep your thumb on the spool to control backlash on a conventional reel.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

muddin,
Best way to start out is read directions that came with reel. You haven' t told us enough about make,model and reel features to give much advice on set up for casting. Find a buddy who uses baitcaster. Let him give you some hands on advice. Practice - Practice and more Practice in back yard is only way to become proficient with level wind reel. Good Luck
Old 04-21-2003, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Practice practice! Out in the yard bait casters are acutually very easy to use. It wont take long
Old 04-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

muddin welcome to the world of birds nest . Just kidding. Usually on the opposite side of the crank theres a dial with #s 0-10. The dial controls a magnet which actually works like a brake for your spool. So the higher the # the stronger the brake and the shorter the cast. I have mine set at around 6. Also when you change lures or the weight of what your throwing will have and affect on your spool in spinning faster or slower. So you have to adjust your tension accordingly. Hope this helps alittle. Like every one else says Practice!
Old 04-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

you with get the hang of it quick or throw it out, once you start using baitcasters and get used to it spinning reels feel strange if it wasn' t for certain tatics I would hardly use anything else
Old 04-24-2003, 04:37 AM

I know where you are comming from I bought one a few years back, I really didn' t have the time to practice, got mad and exchanged it for an open face. Someday I' ll probably try it again, but I just don' t have the patience right now. Like everyone else said read the directions and practice, practice, pratice, good luck
Old 04-26-2003, 10:18 AM

All I can say is GOOD LUCK!
I' ve had one for about two years. Used it about 3 times in the water. Praticed and praticed and praticed and praticed aaaaaannnnnnddddddddd PRATICED![:@]
still got back lash[:@], birds nest, twisted bunch of crap[:@][>:]. I tried adjustments, weights,
so now its in the BARN and thats where it will stay[X(].
Me, I' ll stay with my open faced spinning reels. Change rod strength for what ever I' m using. Flippin, spinning. Like I said, GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-26-2003, 07:26 PM

Stomp on it, hit it with a large hammer, burn it and then hit it some more. Then buy a spinning reel, something simple!

Joking of course. I have tried to use one just long enough to know that I never want to try to use another. I' ve had guys tell me that I just need to practice. Yeah, right. That' s like learning to drink scotch! If you have to learn to like it, then why drink it at all???
Truly though, practice is the answer. Good luck.

critch
Old 04-27-2003, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are very easy to use, practice, swear, and remove birdnest, keep repeating this until you give it to someone you don' t like and then go buy a spinning reel.

Quick Reply: how do i use my new baitcaster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.