Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Any Fly fisherman here? >

Any Fly fisherman here?

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Any Fly fisherman here?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Spike

Default RE: Any Fly fisherman here?

I grew up on the annisquam river catching striped bass on spinning gear and always wanted to give it a try. My mom got me a rod and the recommendedd flies for striper but she wasnt sure on what reel/line. Any suggestions for a starter fishing stripers?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: childers

i have to buy a new fly rod, because i got lazy and didnt put it in its case, and it got mashed up by a big heavy box in my truck bed( had to avoid being t-boned by a speeder on a blind corner ).
I've broken about half a dozen fly rods including 1 in the ceiling fan, one in the screen door, one in the power rear window of my 4 runner, and two or threee while casting. My buddies nick named me the "rod buster" for a while (haven't busted any in several years). Thank the lord for lifetime guarantees. All of them were replaced free of charge. A couple were custom rods built by a friend and I told him that there was just some manufacturing problemson his new prototypes...obviously defective
Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ko1593

I grew up on the annisquam river catching striped bass on spinning gear and always wanted to give it a try. My mom got me a rod and the recommendedd flies for striper but she wasnt sure on what reel/line. Any suggestions for a starter fishing stripers?
how big do they get and how much money do you want to spend???
Old 01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

like Binush before me- Straight Up Addicted. i tie my own flies and am going to build my first rod this year. most of the time i fish for smallies, though there are a couple of stocked rivers within about an hour of my house. I try to go up north at least once a year to try my luck on the wild trout in Michigan.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:30 AM

Love flyfishing, I also tie flys. Having lived most my life in Oregon, California, and Idaho I have had some great flyfishing adventures, but I recently moved to Tampa Florida. Haven't found one flyfisherman or shop for that matter. Anyone in Tampa want to share some information on flyfishing? I'm interested in both Salt and Fresh.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 AM

What part of South Africa? My wife is from Johannesburg. We will probably do a visit there in the next couple years, would be great to know where I can get some fishing in.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fly fisherman and fly tyer.
6rods and5 reels....... so far.
I Fish mostly for redfish and seatrout, and in freshwater, mainly bluegills and warmouth.
I'm originally from Alaska and learned as a lad fron my dad and Uncle. (back in the 60s/70s)[:-]
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 AM

That's strange. ism't tarpon fishing really big in that area? I'd figure threr'd be all kinds of shops there
Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tarpon is huge from right around there and down south.

Hey rmac, give these guys a holler...
http://tbffc.org/
That's the website for the The Tampa Bay Fly Fishing Club . I'll bet if anyone can put you onto a shop in the area, they can.

I do know that in October, I read of a new fly shop opening in Tampa, called
"The Tampa Angler". Supposed to be pretty complete.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 AM

Fly fishing is one of my favorite activities!!! I think it may edge out deer hunting.... and that's tough!!! I have a Finwick spin fly rod, a hand made rod form a maker in rouge river Oregon, and a no name Bamboo Fly rod. I love fishing Bamboo!!! I bought the rod at a swap meet for $100. It was the best bill I've ever spent. It needed a little eye work, but that was cheep. Its no show rod, but it fishes great!!!! I will warn you... if you start bamboo fishing prepare for a workout! They're a little heavier, but to feel a nice brown on the other end is amazing!! My passion is trout fishing, but I have a 6 acre pond in front of the house that is great for bass, yellow perch, and bluegill.