Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Laker Weekend

Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Laker Weekend

Well, here's some pictures from my latest Laker excursion. I was aiming for a 15+ pounder (not uncommon for this lake), but all we could get were small ones. We had a wicked time nonetheless though.

The vessel that would lead us to "lunker" Lakers

Our base camp for the night :P

We decided since we had an hour or so before it got dark, we'd see if we couldn't pick up a quick Laker,

We were only fishing for 5-10 minutes, it was a quick one

Next morning, we had a TON of follows, but we couldn't get any hooksets until this guy

Who quickly turned into,

Best lunch of my life

Then, even I finally managed to hook one,

So I didn't end up with a Lunker Laker, but I had a wicked time camping with my dad, and it definetly made some memories.

Solid 23" 2 pounder, just right for eating
Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Laker Weekend

ORIGINAL: KonaBoy

Best lunch of my life

Great Pictures Cory!.............Thanks for sharing...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great pics!! I am glad you and your dad had a great time out there.. Also here normally the lakers would be hovering around 70 feet right now, but I am not sure about this year as i haven't had the chance to fish for them. Also I have never heard of anyone fishing for them from a double end canoe before. Anyways congrats and thanks for sharing..
Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure how deep they were, but they were definetly right at the edges of the drop-offs, if you were 10 feet too deep, you wouldn't see anything, you had to be right on the drop to get anything. What do you mean, double end canoe? You mean a two person? If so, that's the only way I've fished them, except once or twice beer canning in the spring.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

What do you mean, double end canoe? You mean a two person? If so, that's the only way I've fished them
That's exactly what I mean.. like the one pictured.. Old Town canoe with pointed ends on both ends, we call them double end canoes. Here we normally fish for them out of boats with lead line or downriggers.. I am not so sure what you mean by beer canning for them either. I am guessing you are fishing for them with heavey spoons perhaps..
Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh...yeah, that's how I usually fish'em, out of a canoe. Usually in the summer/winter, we jig over the deep holes. Usually we use bucktail jigs, sonars (Heddon makes them), and occasionally spoons. We don't troll very often for them in the summer, that's usually a spring thing for me. Beer caning is in the spring when the Lakers are shallow(er), you cast out a chunk of cisco, sucker, etc and leave your bail open, then wrap your line around a beer can. Prop your rod up. So then you can just leave it there and sit and read or whatever, then when a fish hits, the beer can comes out of the line and rolls down the rock you're, making a racket and letting you know there's a fish. Hope that made sense,

Cory