Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Johnny's Jon

Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Johnny's Jon

Just wanted to post a pic of the newest addition to my arsenal. I picked up this little jon boat the other day for a pretty decent price. I plan to put a little trolling motor or one of the little briggs and stratons on it. Strictly for small ponds and lakes. It's a little 10 footer so hopefully the Louisiana gators won't get me.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Johnny's Jon

alright man, i am considering gettin another little boat, i bought a bass traker at a garage sale, i have pretty much gave it to our oldest and it is looking good, bought it for a song, i would like to get me a little boat for pond, creek, river fishing

It's a little 10 footer so hopefully the Louisiana gators won't get me.
i can't believe ya'll are scared of them lizards[:-][:@]
Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Good deal Johnny,
I wouldn't put nothing bigger than a trolling motor on it..The stern looks weak. I beefed up my stern with some thick sheet metal..It 's amazing the amount of torque those little motors can put on the stern. Lowes sells 18" squares.of 1/8 " heavy duty sheet metal...I simply wrapped it around the stern ,..that done the trick..
note...there is about 2 inches of the sheet metal bent and snuggly tucked behiond the 1" x 6 " on the back of the stern..as well.

Note the storage compartments I built in the benches as well..They hold the life jackets, bait pails, fish baskets, fire extinqishers and cooler of sodas..
Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Good deal Johnny,
I wouldn't put nothing bigger than a trolling motor on it..The stern looks weak. I beefed up my stern with some thick sheet metal..It 's amazing the amount of torque those little motors can put on the stern. Lowes sells 18" squares.of 1/8 " heavy duty sheet metal...I simply wrapped it around the stern ,..that done the trick..
note...there is about 2 inches of the sheet metal bent and snuggly tucked behiond the 1" x 6 " on the back of the stern..as well.

Note the storage compartments I built in the benches as well..They hold the life jackets, bait pails, fish baskets, fire extinqishers and cooler of sodas..
Yeah Chuck I was looking at it today and I think I'm going to just put a little trolling motor on it. Hate to be a bother but can you put a pic of your boat back up. I'm looking for a few ideas for mine. Is yours a 10, 12, or 14 fter?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That reminds me when I had a jon boat just like that when I lived in fla and I took my yellow lab with me fishing. I had oared a mile or so to the other side of the lake and started fishing. A big gator drifts towards the jon boat wanting my dog and my dog wanting to jump in and fight the intruder as I'm tring to contain him and oar at the same time. Not toooooo good and how we survived and didn't capsize thatboat still amazes me.
Thats kinda funny as I forgot about that till I saw that pic. Thanks for the nightmares all over again.

Bobby
Old 07-15-2008, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

thats a weird thing about gators, they seem to really like dogs[&:], they must taste like chicken[&:]
Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeah Chuck I was looking at it today and I think I'm going to just put a little trolling motor on it. Hate to be a bother but can you put a pic of your boat back up. I'm looking for a few ideas for mine. Is yours a 10, 12, or 14 fter?

Johnny , I apologize brother..I just saw your reply..[&:]Mine is a heavy duty 10' ...There are no rivits in it.It's all wekded..It's a Polarcraft..My first one was like yours and the weight capacity was 250[]..I nearly flipped it 3 times so sold it..I';m nearly 300 pounds myself and have had 600 pounds inthis oneand it floats nicely..Sometimes it hurts ot be honest Johnny but I would not cut your benches up..I don't think your boat can handle it..If your a light man...a trolling motor will serve you well...The aluminum on myine is thick and cutting into the benches did not hurt the support...BUT ny bow could not handle an outboard so I beefed tht up..The board across the back made the biggest differenve because when your motor is going forward the biggest amount of pressure is pushing the stern inward..When i find a pic I'll post it brother..

C7
Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Johnny , I apologize brother..I just saw your reply..[&:]Mine is a heavy duty 10' ...There are no rivits in it.It's all welded..It's a Polarcraft..Fisher also makes all welded boats..I bought mine for 100.00 in the paper..I was blessed.My first one was like yours and the weight capacity was 250[]..I nearly flipped it 3 times so sold it..I';m nearly 300 pounds myself and have had 600 pounds inthis oneand it floats nicely..Sometimes it hurts ot be honest Johnny but I would not cut your benches up..I don't think your boat can handle it..If your a light man...a trolling motor will serve you well...The aluminum on myine is thick and cutting into the benches did not hurt the support...BUT nystern could not handle an outboard so I beefedit up..The board across the back made the biggest difference because when your motor is going forward the biggest amount of pressure is pushing the stern inward..When i find a pic I'll post it brother..

C7
Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Here she is Johnny..
And guys,the Shoe Goo is still holding that leak..
Note the avacado dangling from the tree above the front seat..This year I've built a power strip under the bow Johnny where I can flip on lights by a switch and night fish,,All of my wires ae hidden under a carpet on the floor as well.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Here she is Johnny..
And guys,the Shoe Goo is still holding that leak..
Note the avacado dangling from the tree above the front seat..This year I've built a power strip under the bow Johnny where I can flip on lights by a switch and night fish,,All of my wires ae hidden under a carpet on the floor as well.
Chuck,

did you mount your seat bases throughthe boat or just through the wood?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.