Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Johnny's Jon

Old 07-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Johnny's Jon

Johnny ...my benches have a thick aluminum lip around them..I ran 5 /16 inch bolts through the ends of the pressure treated through the strong aluminum trim..yours does not have that trim..Once the pressure treated is secure..I bolted the seat pedestals with 5 /16inch lag screws...I drilled pilot holes first as pressure treated can split easily.

Look behind that front seat..you can see the lip I was talking about..

Old 07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Ok johnny,
I awoke this morning with you on my mind...OK here is how I would mount your seats

A, Cut out a softball size circle in the back of the bench to get access to your bolts.Use a sabre saw with metal cutting blade...99 cents.

B, Buy a 1/2 sheet of marine plywood from your nearest Lowe's ..1/2 " thick or fatter if you can afford it.

C, Measure and cut out about a 12" square that will fit in the center of your bench..Drill four 1/4 inch holes to fasten the plywood down..on the edges of the plywood.

D, Use your softball sized hole to reach in and tighten bolts using lock washers..

E. I would not use a pedestaol with that boat my friend..it may flip..Use your flat swivel seat mount and mark holes..

F. Drill holes straight through wood and through the bench..

G, Thread 4 1/4 inch boltd through the seat swivel .

H. Attach boat seat to swivel ..

I with swivel seat bolts dangling carefully put then through the plywood and bench..

J. Reach in the softball sized hole and tighten bolts..using lock washers..

God bless,
C7
Old 07-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Ok johnny,
I awoke this morning with you on my mind...OK here is how I would mount your seats

A, Cut out a softball size circle in the back of the bench to get access to your bolts.Use a sabre saw with metal cutting blade...99 cents.

B, Buy a 1/2 sheet of marine plywood from your nearest Lowe's ..1/2 " thick or fatter if you can afford it.

C, Measure and cut out about a 12" square that will fit in the center of your bench..Drill four 1/4 inch holes to fasten the plywood down..on the edges of the plywood.

D, Use your softball sized hole to reach in and tighten bolts using lock washers..

E. I would not use a pedestaol with that boat my friend..it may flip..Use your flat swivel seat mount and mark holes..

F. Drill holes straight through wood and through the bench..

G, Thread 4 1/4 inch boltd through the seat swivel .

H. Attach boat seat to swivel ..

I with swivel seat bolts dangling carefully put then through the plywood and bench..

J. Reach in the softball sized hole and tighten bolts..using lock washers..

God bless,
C7
Hey Chuck,

That's wierd because I got up today and picked up the remaining items for my boat (got a 30lb Minkotta trolling motor, some 1/4'' plywood and some lightweight carpet). Was looking at the seats and pedestal and something was like...you'd better wait to get the seat items until later. Now I know why I waited. This clears it up perfectly. Thanks for those instructions. One of my college buddies use to say "Boy, the Lord takes care of Fools and babies". He took care of me this time through your post. Thanks again...
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Your welcome Johnny..
Notice how my front seat is mounted..It is not mounted to the bench..I moved it up to give more casting room..for when there is 2 in the boat.The front 2 x 4s are pressed against the bottom of the boat BUT with nothing holding it..I have indoor outdoor carpet between the 2 x 4s and bottom of the boat..Since I'm heavy ..when I fish alone I have my 60 pound battery in the back of the boat..I ran an old pair of jumper cables as my wires from the back of the boat to the front..It's hidden by carpet as well.and fit perfectly in a groove that goes down the mniddle of the boat....I also built a power strip so I can hook my batter up front as well..If you need pics..just let me know..You could do the same with your 1/2 plywood...Run it beyond the bench..Tap in 2 2 x 4 pressure treated as braces ..I can take pics of my front seat to show you what I mean.
C7

Johnny , I noticed you are an African American..My friendI was led to the Lord by a black lady in GA 32 years ago.. She called me up to preach in her church 2 weeks ago..I loved it..She is 78 and still as sweet as ever..
Old 07-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm a visual learner so maybe you are too..
Here's the front seat..and power strip to .The power strip is 1/2 " copper tubing that I crimped the end of an old jumper cable in.with my vise ...It's in wood for obvious reasons..not to short out..

Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Your welcome Johnny..
Notice how my front seat is mounted..It is not mounted to the bench..I moved it up to give more casting room..for when there is 2 in the boat.The front 2 x 4s are pressed against the bottom of the boat BUT with nothing holding it..I have indoor outdoor carpet between the 2 x 4s and bottom of the boat..Since I'm heavy ..when I fish alone I have my 60 pound battery in the back of the boat..I ran an old pair of jumper cables as my wires from the back of the boat to the front..It's hidden by carpet as well.and fit perfectly in a groove that goes down the mniddle of the boat....I also built a power strip so I can hook my batter up front as well..If you need pics..just let me know..You could do the same with your 1/2 plywood...Run it beyond the bench..Tap in 2 2 x 4 pressure treated as braces ..I can take pics of my front seat to show you what I mean.
C7

Johnny , I noticed you are an African American..My friendI was led to the Lord by a black lady in GA 32 years ago.. She called me up to preach in her church 2 weeks ago..I loved it..She is 78 and still as sweet as ever..
32 Years ago!!! That's Awesome. I got saved 14 years ago. I always say that I know the Lord loves me. Not only did he give me NEW Life. HIS SON. And bass fishing too, lol.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Good deal man...He is the best fishing guide ever..I got 50 more bluegills last week and one I should have mounted..It was my best so far about 1 1/4 pound..big fat bluegill.