HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Help with Baitcaster -- Pics Included (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/250234-help-baitcaster-pics-included.html)

buckhunter14 06-23-2008 09:11 AM

Help with Baitcaster -- Pics Included

Bought this Quantum Tenacity baitcaster from Dick's Sporting Goods some time ago for 79.99. Thought it was a good deal, and have never had a baitcaster before. Finally, being able to use it this summer, I CANNOT fathom how it works. I have tried every weight of lure with every different adjustment and I cannot get it to cast smoothly more than 5 feet.

Is it just too cheap of a rod/reel combo?

Am I using it incorrectly?

Is there a certain adjustment that needs to be made?

Here are some pictures. I am willing to sell it cheap also, if anyone is interested. It shows NO wear, and is a beautiful combo. Looks great.

Side Adjustment

Tension Control

Overview

indianahunter83 06-23-2008 08:55 PM

RE: Help with Baitcaster -- Pics Included

a couple things.

In the first pic set the magnetic brake (I assume that is what it is) to 1

Tie on a 1/4-1/2 oz jig or some other relatively heavy lure.

In the second pic there is a gold knob. Hit the thumbbar and set it to free spool. Tgen turn the gold knob counter clockwise until the jig slowly starts to fall to the ground. If you can't get the lure to slowly fall to the ground no matter how much you loosen it then something is wrong with the reel.

On a side note I googled your problem and came up with a few other people with your same problem. You might have to contact D.I.C.Ks/Quantum

JoshKeller 06-23-2008 10:39 PM

also, while first learning, use sidearm cast instead of overhead. Dont try and snap the rod like a spinning rod, try and "throw" the lure. heavy lures are a must for learning baitcasting. Also, go to wal mart and get a spool of the 700 yards of line that runs about $3, until you learn what you are doing.

buckhunter14 06-24-2008 06:25 AM

Thanks guys.

grneyemonstr 06-24-2008 06:22 PM

i have the exact same rod and reel. i use it with great success. I have no idea what the number dial is though i have never adjusted it. i use the small gold nob which is the break. hold the rod stragiht out and turn the knot towards the tip. then slowly turn it towards you until the lure slowly drops. do that for every lure you put on. then like stated above use the side are technique until you are comfortable and make sure you dont use too much thumb pressure when you cast.

Scott/IL 06-24-2008 07:08 PM

Just started using a baitcaster this year. I had problems with it at first when I was throwing some lighter crankbaits and such but once I switched to a heavy swimbait I was able to get it down pretty good.

JoshKeller is right about trying to cast it sidearm and not snapping the rod. Also good luck with those back lashes

JoshKeller 06-24-2008 07:17 PM

if you get a backlash that you cant get out, tighten down your drag, and pull out the line until you get to the tangles. FIRMLY place your thumb ont he spool, and reel in a few turns of the handle. You may have to do this 5 times or so, but it WILL come out.

buckhunter14 06-25-2008 05:18 AM

Thanks fellas, I was casting 20-30 yards with a 1/2 or 1/4 ounce jig yesterday, caught one small bass but wasn't really trying.

childers 07-02-2008 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: grneyemonstr

i have the exact same rod and reel. i use it with great success. I have no idea what the number dial is though i have never adjusted it. i use the small gold nob which is the break. hold the rod stragiht out and turn the knot towards the tip. then slowly turn it towards you until the lure slowly drops. do that for every lure you put on. then like stated above use the side are technique until you are comfortable and make sure you dont use too much thumb pressure when you cast.
the number dial is the setting for how tight the spool is during the cast. typically a rod/reel combo is either going to have a bad rod or reel in it. usually one of them in the combo isnt that great. but not always

Chuck7 07-02-2008 09:31 PM

"Thanks fellas, I was casting 20-30 yards with a 1/2 or 1/4 ounce jig yesterday, caught one small bass but wasn't really trying. "

They do take a lot of practice..and I have bought a funky baitcaster before..{It was used} It casted 20 feet max.[:'(]

Something to note..
You need to match the right lure to the right line..

I use a light 6 inch worm with a split shot.alot.so my 10 pound Suffixand 15 pound Power Pro. { 6 lb diameter} worked great today..When fishing this light set -up..any line heavier would be a backlash..

I use my baitcasters with the heavier line { 14 pound Suffix} for the heavier lures such as crankbaits and jigs..