HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   I just stocked my Pond with Bass. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/249813-i-just-stocked-my-pond-bass.html)

buckmaster 06-18-2008 06:33 PM

I just stocked my Pond with Bass.

Hey guys, I drove by the local Southern States today andseen the fish truck... so i made a few calls and made a decision to get about 40 lg mouth Bass for my pond.

They were minows!! 2 inches at best.... I worried to death, that i just took $50 and tied it to a rock and threw it in my pond...[&:]

I have channel cats in my pond, and was told they really wont bother them, and i also have 1 very nice Lg mouth, thats been in there for who knows how long, and Im afraid he might get them, I took some brush and submerged it into the shallow end of my pond an hope for the best, i did the temp exchange correctly and every thing and off they went.... IDK guys. you think they will make it??

North Texan 06-18-2008 09:21 PM

RE: I just stocked my Pond with Bass.

The channel cats will probably nab a few, but most will survive them. As a general rule, you can stock bass in a catfish pond, but you can't do the reverse because the bass will eat all the catfish. You can also stock them at the same time, but the catfish need to be as long or longer than the bass.

If there is a bigger bass in there, he will probably make a bigger dent than the catfish. Since the bass you are stocking aren't very big, be prepared for them to suffer a bit of predation. Even if there were no other fish, other predators, such as birds will still claim some. The key is to stock enough that the predators can't eat them all. Good cover helps, as does having plenty of other forage for the predators.

At 2", expect a pretty high mortality rate.

JeffS 06-18-2008 09:56 PM

40 bass is not alot. You will lose alot of them to die off and predators. Though you should have enough survive to help get the bass started.

huntndemducks 06-20-2008 01:51 PM

one way to do it is go to the lake and keep a few of the decent sized bass and keep them for your pond leave them in the live well on the way home throw em in the pond and you won't have to worry about having them eaten but give it a shot

indianahunter83 06-20-2008 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: huntndemducks

one way to do it is go to the lake and keep a few of the decent sized bass and keep them for your pond leave them in the live well on the way home throw em in the pond and you won't have to worry about having them eaten but give it a shot
Be careful with that. In indiana you need a special license to transplant fish.

Phil from Maine 06-22-2008 12:12 PM

Be careful with that. In indiana you need a special license to transplant fish.
Tha same thing here, you can not even let baitfish go into a small pond without a license. Up this way most would stock a pond with trout though..

childers 07-02-2008 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: JeffS

40 bass is not alot. You will lose alot of them to die off and predators. Though you should have enough survive to help get the bass started.
def. i probably would have put atleast 150-200 in there. lots will just die off, other fish eat them, frogs, birds, other small animals.
but i wish the best of luck to you.

Chuck7 07-02-2008 09:19 PM

Channels love minnows..and will most likely eat most.I would do as our friend suggested and transport some quality bass in your pond..We can keep 5 in Florida so it would take a while.

How big is your pond..? Do you have any trouble with water birds?

buckmaster 07-02-2008 09:55 PM

Well Ive been keeping check on them, and it seems I have more bass than what i thought, i have two grown bass and quite a few little 6"ers, but I still see my little ones swimming around where i put them, so thats good. Ponds not very big at all, maybe 45yrds across at widest point.

The thing ive herd about transporting, is disease....

childers 07-05-2008 10:22 AM

yes that is true. just gotta be careful