Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Banning myself.....

Old 06-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Banning myself.....

from Gander Mountain.

They have a box that has scratched/dented/unpopular reels in them. Yesterday, they had a bunch of Shimano Calcutta 101B's in there for $129. I couldn't help myself.[]

Now, I need to decide on a rod and fishing line. Mostly bass fishing throwing crankbaits and topwater, with a frog or a power worm thrown in the mix every now and then. Suggestions?
Old 06-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Banning myself.....

They have some nice bass in Texas..i'd go with a medium heavy 7 footer..I use a 7 foot Lightning Rod.37.00.from Walmart..If I wanted to go with something American and fancy..I'd get a Finwick 7 footer..100-200 dollars...from Cabelas
Old 06-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

We've got a stock tank at the house that covers about 3 surface acres. That's where most of my fishing is done. It was stocked with Florida-strain largemouth in 1983, and it has some nice bass in it.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ROD-DCHS.html#

dobyns 7' medium heavy $169.99

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...RRUS-APS.html#

airrus 7'3" medium heavy $199.99

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...IS-GLSMRS.html
good backbone and reactive rods.
in my opinion g-loomis is one of the best rods made
Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 PM

If you want to be the most effective fishermen then the lures you described require 2 types of poles. Most topwater and crakbaits should be fished with a 6'6" to 7+' medium action rod. Frogs, jigs, worms can be fished with the previously described med heavy tackle. Next question is.... you bought a quality reel, do you really want to put it on a cheap rod? you might as well have bought a 40 reel while you are at it.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:44 AM

if your looking for a rod i'd go with a 7foot berkely cherrywood rod ive got 3 and i love them and there a pretty stout rod
Old 06-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I went with a 6'6" medium Diawa S-Bass rod. I would have gone with the 7', but I've had several occaisions where I barely had enough room to fit a 6'6" rod in the vehicle. Six more inches, and it wouldn't have fit.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

good deal..my birthday is Monday..and I think Matt is buying me a nice medium Fenwick casting rod..He is ask me what I wanted..and the local tackle shopcarries St.Cruix and Fenwicks..Mediums are great...I don't have no long mediums..I need one. 6' 6 " is a great size..
Tight lines,
C7
Old 06-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Worked out pretty good! Caught one that went 4.3#s on Saturday afternoon. The fish were biting all weekend on shallow crankbaits, jerkbaits, and topwater.

I really like that Sufix line. I was impressed with the casting performance. My other reels will probably be sporting some soon.

BTW, happy birthday!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

To be honest with ya..I like the 10 pound Suffix but not the 14 pound..at least on the Ambassador..I must have had 30 backlashes..the stuff is tough though..I was pulling good bass out of trees today using 10 pound test..I think 12 pound test woul dbe idea...14 is a little too thick for rme..I'm glad your having fun catching fish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.