Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Pro/Con? Tournaments

Old 03-04-2003, 07:43 PM

Default RE: Pro/Con? Tournaments

I dont fish tourneys but I know several people that do! I fish right alongside the guys fishing the PWT and RCL on the Detroit river every year. Ive met some really good guys involved in those tourneys,, also a couple arsejacks!

Ive turned a couple of those guys onto a hot hole or a hot bait. I keep in touch with a few of them throughout the year, its great to hear how there fishing is going. Ive also recieved some fabulous equipment from a few of those guys,, alot of them have big sponsors and they get products to test before it ever hits the market. Ive been priveledged to fish a couple things that were not on the market yet and I havent bought fishing line in 3 years!
Old 03-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree that it is detrimental to remove bedded bass from the area, as in tournament fishing.

In my neck of the woods, we can not tournament fish during this time of year.

Shaunpm, in all the tourneys I have fished, we are supposed to let the rider(non-boater) pick where he wants to fish the second half of the day. And I always offer.

Actually, we are supposed to let them run the boat at this time. I have only ever had one person point this out to me, that they should be running the boat.

With a $40,000.00 deposit.... I would gladly go along with the request!
Old 03-05-2003, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

I hear ya BC and agree.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:06 AM

cball-
Actually I didnt hear that from my " bass club buddies" , I read it in the feb. issue of BassMaster.Since you have been a member od BASS since 1975 I am assuming you recieved that issue. Its the article titled Bed Fishing Ethics.This subject has been covered in many magazines,and is sort of a touchy subject.
Also, I said that bed fishing doesent hurt the population.Not that it doesent hurt fry.

Big Country-
If I am non-Boater and I am in 30th place and my boater is in 3rd on the last day of the tourney,I think that it would be expected of me to let the boater fish his spots all day long.It makes for a boring day even if I am not in the running to win.
Maybe its different where you live but thats how it is where I live.

I didnt mean to start a big arguement about this subject,I know bass fishermen have strong opinions on this subject,I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on tourney fishing.

Regards,

Old 03-05-2003, 10:30 AM

Shaunpm,How do you think the deer hunting would be in a couple years,if everyone was allowed to hunt during the spring,summer and kill the does while their fawning?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:54 AM

Cbll-

I thought we were talking about bass fishing.....
Thats the thing, bed fishing has not been against the law and the number of bass being caught and the size is getting better.
The beds you see up in the shallows are only a fraction of the beds in the lake.
I have read and belive that alot of the beds are in deeper water were we cant see them .
Old 03-05-2003, 11:57 AM

On the deer hunting quistion...
Deer dont have hundreds of babies at a time bass do.
Deer dont eat there own kind bass do.
so i am sure it would ruin the deer population,but I dont think that you can compare a deer to a bass.