Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Fishing pole overboard >

Fishing pole overboard

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing pole overboard

Old 05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
MagnumMan308

Default Fishing pole overboard

I was out on Otsego lake with my father today, and it was a good day of fishing right up until the end. We decided to swap spots, me moving to the aft deck, and him to the bow. No sooner had we swapped, that I brushed the fishing pole sitting at my feet overboard, and my frantic grabs produced nothing, it was too deep, I watched it sink...

We tried for an hour to snag it with weighted hooks (in about 15-20' water) with no luck. We took a few pictures for reference of our position, and headed home.

So now my Pflueger President reel, and Bass Pro XPS Davis signature series fishing pole are at the bottom of the lake, and I'm sick because it cost a decent chunk of change, and itwasmy first season out fishing with it.

My reason for starting the thread is twofold. One misery loves company, has anybody else ever done something similar? and two, would there be a good way to drag for the pole should I get back there within the week, or is it a lost cause?

Old 05-26-2008, 12:09 AM

Default RE: Fishing pole overboard

Make that threefold. I should realize how clumsy I am and your story has reminded me not to spend a lot on rods for the time being. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you get it back. I could see myself doing the same thing so this is a learning experience for me.

I bought my first trout rod not too long ago and I'm taking it out tomorrow. Less than $100 for the whole thing. While it would bum me out to lose even that.. man I'm glad I'm not going out with a $300 setup.

My first hunting season I lost my cheap Bushnell bins. While I'm glad I upgraded, it was good for me to have those as a starter pair. I've survived many seasons now with my quality ones. But even those are only $300. I just can't stand even the thought of losing a $2K pair of Swaros or sth.

Again, I hope you find it. You might try asking a diver. Good luck and God bless.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear about your lost gear- that suks.( they sound like good ones)

It did happen to me once while in the aderondacs about 25+ yrs agofishing one spring- turned around suddenlike to look at something & knocked it right in- never did recover it, couldnt see it either. But luckly it was inexpensive like most of my stuff.

Maybe get one of those heavy duty magnets?( dont know if its steel/reel) or not)

We use to make homemade grapling hooks when i was a kid( to catch all the tackle etc -ppl lost in lake erie)

A handfull of coat(steel) hangers( or other stiff steel wire) & 6 in or so piece of pipe- double them over- stuck threw the pipe& then bent over & a piece of rope tied onto the loop formed from doubling over -worked well then & was inexpensive to make & didnt matter to much if they got snaged & lost to..( got a lot of tackle that way)

I hope ya can recover it- good luck.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 AM

Sorry to hear that. One time me and my dad came home from fishing started to unload the truck I put my new rod on the tail gate and he slammed the door shut and snapped it in two. What can you do???[:@]
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen several go over the rail at our pier. Big fish take the hook and the drag isn't set.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:42 PM

I lost a pole catfishing last year, I was taking a fish off my other pole and the other one got taken in an instant. Everybody loses a pole at some point and yes it sucks
Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry about your loss. BIG BUMMER

Once I was fishing and was in a hurry. I got back there adn started up my 9.9 Evinrude on my litte 10 foot John..A lure on my brand new rod and Finwich reel had lapped over a small branch..AS I was rooster tailing it out WHAM! BAM! ! the rod goes flying out. I spent an hour combing the area witha large treble hook..no luck
Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ive came close to losing a few while catfishing, but is hasnt happened yet
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 PM

only thing i can tell yais to pull out the old mask and snorkey and start divn only if the waters clear enough though ) sorry about the loss n kno how ya feel

Old 05-29-2008, 07:33 PM

Maybe try what Chuck did and drag the area with a LARGE treble hook texas rigged... Just a thought....

Quick Reply: Fishing pole overboard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.