Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Fishing line review...used for rubber worms.. >

Fishing line review...used for rubber worms..

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing line review...used for rubber worms..

Old 06-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fishing line review...used for rubber worms..

So you tie the braided line(power pro) right to the hook or use a mono leader? NO leader sir..treat the Power Pro just like you would any other line EXCEPT tie a Palomar knot..:last year Matt and I lost about 4 small bass on it back to back..We had used the improved clinch knot..Someonetoldus to use the Palomar Knot..We have not lost a fish since. I don't like using a swivel.me neither..If you tie directly to the hook, does the braided line spook the fish you think?no sir..it's camo colored and thin as thread..that's the good part.The bad part..After a few days the line that has been most exposed to the water turns a whitish color..When that happens I use a hunter green permanent marker and redye the line from the eye of the hook up about 8 feet.BUT even the whitish colorseems not to effect the way fish bite..I just personally don't have confidence in white line.That isone fault with the line.The other fault..is that backlashes can bea nightmare to get out...nearly impossible.[:@]

SO FAR I find no fault with Suffix..and it would take a pretty big fish to break that 14 straight up my friend..I honestly beleive your rod would break first. You could probably horse a bass our of the timber with 14 with no problem..also my Revooccatonally gets a backlash...The Suffix backlashes come out very easy..at least for me.

Take note...I personally would use nothing bigger than 10pound Suffix on a spinning rod ..I 'd only use 14 on a baitcaster. You can use Power pro on a spinning rod though because the line is as thin as thread. I rarely use Power Pro now except for extreme conditions..and that line is on 2 spare Garcia Cardinal spinning spools...which are currently in my spare tackle box.

I haven't read all the post so Maybe its already been asked.

Bobby
Tight lines,
Chuck7

Old 06-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 121553

ORIGINAL: childers

ORIGINAL: 121553

Thanks for the advice Chuck, but I have one more question and why would you use 20# power-pro on one rod and not 20# suffix? Thanks in advance.

Bobby
braid is much much much thinner.
So you tie the braided line(power pro) right to the hook or use a mono leader? I don't like using a swivel. If you tie directly to the hook, does the braided line spook the fish you think? I haven't read all the post so Maybe its already been asked.

Bobby
i personally would tie on a barrel swivel and then a mono or flouro leader if i was using a soft plastic and braid
Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tie it directly to the hook, The point is to have as few knots as possible in any line and knots along with swivels take away a natural presentation. IN super clear water, yes power pro will spook them, but in the sticks, I would imagine tat the water will be slightly murky and this is where the line will excel. I would stick to 20 or 30 lb line, but I have gone as high as 50 and have seen o difference in hit ratio, but you better believe, when you set the hook on them with 50, you will come close to jerking them in the boat with you if they are under 3 lbs. I saw my dad kill one doing this because he jerked the fish out of the water and it slammed ito the top of the trolling motor. Just remember, sometimes less is more when fishing the worms.
Good luck and tight lines,
Brent
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM

If the water you are fishing is that murky then you really won't see a difference it bites between 20lb mono and braided. Especially if you are throwing in heavy cover. The only time you will see my with braided line is if I am fishing heavy vegetation. Otherwise I'm a sole monofilament fisher. (Half suffix half trilene maxx on my reels) I like the feel of mono a lot better. Some people prefer stretch others don't. Point being neither is really a bad choice just pick the one you like and don't worry about the other. There are things that either excel at. Mono and crankbaits go hand in hand just as bite detection with jigs in deep water and braid work well but unless you are a tournament fisherman you really won't notice very much of a difference. Final thing is many people believe that abrasion resistance is better in braid. That unfortunately (or fortunately if you love mono) is not true. If you think about it the subtle abrasions will cut the small fibers of braid very easily and significantly weaken the line.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of good points guys,thanks. I think i will keep one of my rods with the braided and suffix on the others.
Chuck, what problems do you have with 14lb suffix andstronger using spinners ?
Thanks for all the tips guys, I got all the rods and suitcases just about packed and ready to do some bass fishing for a few weeks. I'm ready.

Bobby
Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 PM

All depends on the size of spinning rod. For the most part spinning rods are designed for smaller lures which need smaller diameter line. That being said my beach fishing spinning rod is spooled up with 20lb mono and still casts >100yards. (of course it is flinging a 4 oz weight and the rod is 12 feet long) There really isn't much of a difference between 10lb and 14lb test. You will notice some loss of casting distance and some people would argue your bite rate will go down. (I would disagree unless you are fishing in gin clear water)

Disclaimer: I am biased against spinning rods. At about 12 years of age I was introduced to baitcasters and found out how much easier they are to handle once mastered and how the dreaded line twist is a thing of the past.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Disclaimer: I am biased against spinning rods. At about 12 years of age I was introduced to baitcasters and found out how much easier they are to handle once mastered and how the dreaded line twist is a thing of the past.
right there with you, my weapon of choice broom pole and a well rope[:-]and BTW, I hate stretchy line[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 06-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Chuck, what problems do you have with 14lb suffix and stronger using spinners ?
I seldom use weedless spinner baits..I use inline spinners.These are made for light and medium tackle..14 messes up the action of th ewillow leaf on the Rooster tails..your regular big ole Strike king spinner baits will work fine on the Suffix 14 ..When I mention spinner baits I'm speaking of Rooster tails
Old 06-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

it would be fine on real spinnerbaits but with inline spinners under 1/4 oz. i wouldnt even bother at all.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Bobby,
I just caught 4 quality largemouth in THICK sald..The Suffix pulled them out easily..My biggest was about 3 pounds on a Rooster taill..10 pound test..The other 3 were fish called on rubber worms..all asbout 2 1/2 pounders..whiich is tough in 3 feet thick hydrilla..The 14 pulled fish and 4 pounds of hydrilla with it..good line..However ; with lighter lures I got lots of easy to pull out backlashes on my Garcia Ambassador..but that reel has never been good for me with light lures..only big crankbaits and heavy worms or jigs..