Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Team Diawa / Lightning Rod review.. >

Team Diawa / Lightning Rod review..

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Team Diawa / Lightning Rod review..

Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Team Diawa / Lightning Rod review..

I hate to write this but I must be honest. Two years ago Josh encouraged me to go 7 foot when wormng instead of 6 foot.I've always bought Lightning Rods but until this year Lightning only had 6 foot worm rods ..now they carry 7 footers.My hook setting for worm fishing was embarassing low...UNTIL I switched to 7 footers..that extra leverage is phenomenal

Anyway I bought 3 Team Diawas last year

on 2 of them..the reel seat broke away as my son casted.
on 1 of them ..the eye came off in 2 weeks.

My Lightnings are over 15 years old and never a problem..My son told me to replace the 2 he broke.at his cost..,so..This morning I picked uptwo 7foot Lightning rods..before school started..I won't buy any more Team Diawas...I'm pretty handy with my hands..these two rods could not be fixed..I also did not save my receit..
C7

PS Josh's advice was excellent..the extra leverage improved my hook sets 150% eaily..no matter if your pitching, flipping or casting..no matter if you use a quick set or pull set as I do..it works
Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Default RE: Team Diawa / Lightning Rod review..

I have never been a fan of Diawa.

My father owns a couple Lightening rods and swears by them as well. Very nice rods, especially considering how old and abused they are.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you bought them at wal mart, they arent true diawas. They will be made in china. the REAL diawa stuff is made in japan.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i have real one. and it was not cheap compared to walmart. but i believe you get what you pay for. i think dobyns, all-star, fenwick, and g-loomis are some of the best for the price.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Josh,
I did not know that. I'd rather buy American made anyway..Does anyone know of any American made rods.
I know St.Croix is one.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

sadly there only a few rods/blanks that are made anywhere but china, i know st croixis made in america, i would imagine loomis are, lamiglass, american rodsmiths (maybe), and fenwich, most of the others are made/built with blanks purchased from overseas, even some of the high dollar "made in America rods" they should really say "assembled in the USA using portugese cork, japaneese reel seats and guides, and blanks from china"

in the words of one of what i consider the finer rod compinies

Our blanks are made by companies 99% of the fishing public has never heard of anyway, so why not tell them right? Wrong, why tell someone the secret to your sauce when they could just go out and use your sauce ingredients to make their our brand and ultimately, use your name to promote their brand. Which by the way is already happening in this industry. But we are very flattered to have our name used as a salesmen’s’ tool to help them push their own brand.