Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Line for Baitcaster

Old 02-17-2003, 03:58 PM

Default Line for Baitcaster

Wondering what you all use for line on your baitcaster. I just bought a Shimano Curado reel and a 6' 6" Med. Hvy Bass Pro Shops " Pro Qualifier" pole.

I will be using it mainly for bass and northern. What # and type line would you recomend? I was thinking about SpiderLine 12lb test/6lb dia or SpiderWire 20lb test/6lb dia.

Any thoughts on your favoite line is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old 02-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Line for Baitcaster

I' ve been addicted to Trilene XT for a good 30 years now. I wouldn' t go under 14# test on that rig.

I' ve also used the Spiderwire Fusion line. Not sure about it though. It wears out awful quick in the rocks and stumps, so it would seem better suited to open water. But then, mono does just fine for me in that application. The regular Spiderwire and other braids are just a bit to pricey for my wallet.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

First of all you' re going to like the reel I' ve had mine for 7 years. But for the line I like the Bass Pro Excel (10 to 14 # depending on structure) I' ve used it a long time and it' s cheap enough to respool frequently if needed. As far as the braided, never used it on a baitcaster, but have used it on spinning and had a problem with it digging into itself and the bigger the fish the worse it digs in. Don' t know how it will do on the curado though.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

I use Berkley Big Game 15 pound test and after taking people fishing and they break off and I pull free they always switch too.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:26 PM

You made a good choice in that reel ,I have 2 CU 200 B 5' s. I use 10 lb Trilene XT on all baitcasters unless I' m in Florida or somewhere were the bass are really big..With 10 lb line you can throw as small as 1/8 oz lures a long way with that reel.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Good choice on reels! I' m a stren fan. My btcasters generally have 14 lb stren. My crankbaiters have 10 and 12. If you use it for flipping I would use 17 to 20. IMO I would not use " super" lines for short work or for crankbaits.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use 10XT on my shimano baitcasters and use them for fishing northerns moslty. (My rods are 6.6 shimano and 6 G-loomis) I prefer the 10XT for castability and top water.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the help. I guess I will stay away from the braided lines. If I could get your opinions on line color I would appreciate it.

Most of the water I fish is cloudy, ocasionally clear so I was thinking about a moss color. But what about the others, clear, Florecent green, Hi visibility and all the others. Are their times and places for each or is it more of a personal preferance.

Thank you
Old 02-18-2003, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ll use high-vis line in muddy water, clear line in stained or cloudy water and low-vis green in clear water. It' s just what I' ve found works best for these fish I work on (largemouth, Kentuckys and white/striped/hybrid bass). We don' t have northerns or many smallmouth fisheries down here in Texas.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Berkley XT 17lb test

Quick Reply: Line for Baitcaster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.