Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Sensitivity ratings on rods....... >

Sensitivity ratings on rods.......

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Sensitivity ratings on rods.......

Old 03-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Sensitivity ratings on rods.......

Ok,I understand the IM rating on graphite rods. IM8 is more sensitive than IM6....yada yada.....but this modulous rating confuses me. So, for comparison, what would the equivalent modulous rating be for an IM8 rod? 70 million?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sensitivity ratings on rods.......

Not nesscessarily, I have seen 70 mil on IM6 rods as well. I dont completly understand modulus and I personally think it is just another way to confuse the heck out of a simple minded fisherman. Also note that my St. Croix is IM6 and is more sensitive than any other IM7 or 8 that I have owned.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:26 PM
F3d
Banned

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/rodselection.html

http://www.furnacebayrods.com/tech.htm

"Modulus- A measure of applied load (stress) that it takes to deform a material in its finished process state."

"Modulus: As stated above, modulus refers to the stiffness of the graphite, not the amount of material used or the number of graphite fibers incorporated into the sheets. Buying a rod based solely on the modulus rating is a mistake because other factors must be considered. For instance, you don't want the stiffest rod for light line techniques or cranking. In addition, other qualities must be incorporated in the graphite itself and the rod must be designed correctly to ensure the best performance and durability of the rod. The other components that go into a quality rod can also add significantly to the cost."

"IM6, IM7, etc.: These are trade names for particular graphite produced by the Hexcel Corporation. These numbers are not industry standards or an indication of quality, especially since other companies use the designations to refer to graphite not made by Hexcel. At best, they allow you to compare the quality of the material used to build different rods by the same manufacturer. You can be confident that the IM7 rod would use better graphite than the IM6 rod if both are made by the same manufacturer. It's more difficult to say the same about rods from two different companies, since they could be made from material from completely different manufacturers."

Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 PM

See, I knew someone would know. Thanks. So, there's really not much correlation w/ an IM rating and a modulus rating? Do either relate to the sensitivity of a rod?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 AM
F3d
Banned

So, there's really not much correlation w/ an IM rating and a modulus rating?
Yep. It depends on who's saying what the IM rating it is.

Do either relate to the sensitivity of a rod?
Yep, the high modulus rod will be more sensitive and lighter but the trade off is that it's brittle. IM ratings help negate that trade off. The rating is the quality of graphite they used, but it's not a standard so you just have to compare them.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont really get into the "marketing" of rods....if it has good eyes, balance and a specific action that i want i buy it. dont get caught up in marketing....ive never missed a fish because my rod wasnt "sensative" enuff..(i bass fish in shallow water 90% of the time)

these rods Below are plenty fine check them out before buying....because even tho both rods may say 6'6" Med action with im7 graphite the rod will vary in feel from brand to brand...the ratings only help distinguish the lineup within the brand and series(make sense)

my favorites right nowat a fair Value($250 rod give me a break[:'(][:'(])are the Fenwick "eagle gt"(im6)around50$ series and the HMX(im7)$80 series....i also like the Shimano Clarus 70$alot(they make Great medium action 7footers for good price)....

the best bang for your buck rods -40$are the "Berkely Lightning rod"

my favorites are a toss between shimano "Clarus" and the Fenwick "HMX"

nothing wrong with Berkely lightning rods tho...tough and ive never Broke one without Stepping on it or something equally stupid.... thay last forever altho ive heard some stuff recently about the fore grips comeing loose. on new ones...they still rock tho.(my first real bass poles were lightning rods from thelate 80s..back then they had over the counter warranty's, break one(foot, rock, car) and take it back to k-mart for a brand new one no questions) for the money i go with the Eagle GT by Fenwick (harder to find tho 15$ more)and the Shimano Convergence

also this is my opinion/experience but stay away from BassPro brand rods overpriced JUNK IMO.

Taken from another SIte:

Much of the confusion has to do with terminology. Let's define "power" and "action" first.

Power
The power of a rod is simply a rating, which describes the overall stiffness of the blank. Power categories include Ultra-Light (UL), Light(L), Medium-Light(ML), Medium(M), Medium-Heavy(MH) , Heavy(H) and Extra Heavy(XH)

Action
The action of a rod is a rating, which describes the amount of curvature that occurs in the blank due to loading with weight. The faster the action, the further towards the tip the rod bends. The slower the action, the further towards the middle of the rod and so on.

Action categories include:
Extra-Fast: Bend very near the top of the blank.
Fast: Bend in the upper 25-30%.
Moderate: Bend near the middle.
Slow: Parabolic curvature throughout the entire length of the rod.

Action is important because it determines, in part, how much control you have over the fish. The faster the action, the more pressure you can put on the fish (and vice-versa). Many crankbait anglers want more moderate action so that the fish cannot shake free as easily. Another important consideration of rod action is casting distance. The slower the action the better the rod will cast. Rods that have a slower action have a wider curve on their parabolic bend, and therefore can store more potential energy when casting. This is called "rod loading." In effect, the more the rod loads, the more of the rod you use to cast. Fast action rods bend closer to the tip, using less of the rod to cast.

Other rod characteristics to note are recovery, sensitivity and brittleness. Recovery is a measure of the time it takes the rod to recover after a cast. When you impart energy to a rod upon casting, it vibrates. You can see the tip shaking. That shaking bats the line as it leaves the top guide, causing friction. That friction reduces casting distance. Faster action rods tend to recover faster, but do not load up as well. More moderate action rods tend to recover poorly, but load up better. If you can find a moderate action rod with fast recovery, it will outcast everything else if the rest of the playing field is equal.

Sensitivity is obviously important. You want a rod to be able to transmit the feelings you experience when your lure moves underwater, where you can't see it. Higher modulus graphite is more sensitive, although it may be a case of diminishing returns as you get higher and higher up the modulus rating scale.

Brittleness is how easily the rod will break. Most high end rods are brittle, as brittleness and sensitivity tend to be indirectly proportional. That's where a lifetime warranty comes into play!

So, all things are not created equal and if you think a $50 rod is just as good as a $300 rod, you're wrong! Buy the best equipment you can afford and focus on quality, not quantity.

For an all around rod I recommend 6 1/2' or 7' Medium Power/ Fast Action. More than 90% of all the bass fishing you will ever do can be done with this rod. Rod power is more about the weight of the lures you use than the fish you might catch. A Medium Power rod will handle most of the lures you will fish and the fight will be much more fun.

Now for the details. I'll list the Power and Action and a specific rod:

If I were to fish one rod only: 7" M/F spinning. G.Loomis GLX PR844S

If I can fish two, my other rod would be: 7' H/F baitcasting. G.Loomis GLX MBR844C

For technique specific applications:

Light fishing: 6 1/2' ML/F spinning
Soft plastics: 7' M/F spinning
Crankbaits, jerkbaits and topwater: 7' M or MH/M baitcasting
Spinnerbaits and buzzbaits: 7' M or MH/F baitcasting
Jigs, C-rigs and heavy and/or deep running lures: 7' H/F baitcasting

And to break it down just a little further, I fish a Heavy Power/ Slow Action glass rod for big, treble hook lures.

he does averygood job describing the actions: i know this is different than Modulus...what i do is basically buy what feels good to me not what some Marketer says is better...

i disagree with this guy on the $350 rod thing sure its better than a $50 rod...but not $300 better. on top of that hes Bias torwards G-loom(rods) and Shimano(reels)...thats all he uses...not that thats bad both are some of the best. just that hes bias.

im gonna try to find something onmodulus...but like already said the High modulous rods are very brittle and have breakage problems, compared to low modulus....wich is somthing i dont want to deal with on the water(the trade off isnt worth it IMO) .

maybee im just old school...i still use origional STREN 12,14,17 lb test for everything...i stick with what i knowworks.
the only newer inventions in fishing that have caught my attention is Berkely Power Worms/Craws and Owner or Gamagatsu hooks....i did buy a Revo Reel ...not really put it to the test yet tho...if it breaks in 2 years im not going Low profile ever again...

sorry for the long posti need to go fishing badly.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:24 PM
F3d
Banned

The rod to me doesn't matter a whole lot. The reel and the line mean much more. A cheap rod with braid is more sensitive than an expensive one with mono.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

nothing wrong with Berkely lightning rods tho...tough and ive never Broke one without Stepping on it or something equally stupid.... thay last forever altho ive heard some stuff recently about the fore grips comeing loose. on new ones...they still rock tho.(my first real bass poles were lightning rods from the late 80s..back then they had over the counter warranty's, break one(foot, rock, car) and take it back to k-mart for a brand new one no questions)
I agree with you Alpha. They made a few of them out of a polymer that was super tough. My father had one of those things and fished it over 100 days a year for over a decade. I am primariy a work/finesse fisherman, and one of my favorite worm rods (spinning) are Berkley Cherrywoods. $20.

also this is my opinion/experience but stay away from BassPro brand rods overpriced JUNK IMO.
Just as an aside, I own several, and honestly I have super impressed with their fishing equipment. Keep in mind that bass pro doesn't make anything, they just resell it. Their reels (freshwater) are made by two companies, Daiwa and Pfluger. A lot of their rods are Daiwa's. Do I think they are as good as a Loomis... no. I don't think you should pay a Loomis price for anything but a Loomis, and only then if you fish a heck of a lot. But I have a couple in the $100-$120 range and I've been very happy with them. I just picked up one of the Woo Daves signature spinnerbait rods this past weekend. They were running a special, got one of their 7 bearing reels thats normally $80 for $65, and you get a free rod. They had a different rod in the picture than the one that was supposed to be free, hadn't caught it yet... boom... free $100 rod.... got a combo for $70 out the door. Lucky Craft is making a heck of a lot of baits for BPS now too... and for a whole lot less than a Lucky Craft price.

Its always true you get what you pay for though....
Old 03-23-2008, 05:45 PM

Unbelievable info, thanks so much guys. I just purchased a BPS Pro Qualifier, IM8 7 footer, fast action MH. Think I got just the one I need. Again, thanks guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I been looking at rods and was favoring the 6 ft mh ugly stick with a shimano 4000fh spinner. I have this as a set up on one outfit with 17# trilene flora-carbon and liked the way it cast and performed and in using a shorter stick it made casting much more accurate. I'll be heading to fla this june and fish thick stumps and branches at Farm 13 and Lake Kissimmee and I need a rod that can basically hoist a hawg outta of the stumps and donot cut him any slack and if any given he'll break ya off everytime. One rod is not good for all conditions and lures as crankbait/rattle trap in open water I would want too use a rod that was more foregiveing. So you got to be adaptable to what you'll mostly be fishing. Good luck.

Bobby