Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

rooster tails

Old 03-15-2008, 03:08 PM

Default rooster tails

I was wondering what kinds of fish can be caught with rooster tails. I've always used them for just trout. Thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: rooster tails

LOL Rooster Tail is one my top 3 all time lures..
Fish I've caught..

1.many catfish ...mostly blue cats

2.100s of bass many in the 6 pound rangelost count of the 5s and 6s...lost a few over 10
WON 3 small tournaments using Rooster Tail only..

3.bluegills.

4.lot's of Chain Pickeral

5.a few Crappie

6. Gar

7. Striped Bass ...Sunshine bass

The 2 fish posted were each caught on white Rooster tails..
The tilapia was a state record that was accidently eaten.[]
The catfish is 12 pounds.I noticed Rooster tails have gone up 150% in price this year..[&o]almost 4,00 a piece now.I use white 3/8th ounce..

Old 03-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Ive only ever used rooster tails for trout and whitefish so trout and whitefish but by what Chuck said they are pretty versatile.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:59 AM

Just about everything has been caight on an inline spinner. Smallies love them.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much anything, all of the above, plus....

pike

dogfish (bowfin)

(1) perch ever.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

good to know because i sure picked up a couple the other day.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I once caught 23 bass in 15 minutes using a white Rooster Tail..I'm serious.a big school swam by..14inchers but still fun.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 PM

If you are targeting big bass, the rooster tail is not your friend. Sure it will catch a lot of smaller bass but how many pro bass tournaments have you seen won with a rooster tail?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Dominant Buck

"If you are targeting big bass, the rooster tail is not your friend".Indianahunter..

LOL I've lost count of the hawgs I've caught using a 1/4 ounce Rooster Tail..This lady below did ok too..My data proves RoosterTails do catch big bass...It's not my opinion it's a fact..

Nikki Pederson, St. James, MO, caught this 9-pound monster on a black and orange broken Rooster Tail at Little Prairie Lake, near Rolla, MO in early March of 2007. It was 26-inch long, with a 17-inch girth.

The key ..fish deep, fish just slow enough turn the willow leaf..to mimick a lone lost bait fish lost in the middle...It's a reaction lure and I've had plenty of reaction using this lure..
and not all pros share what they use in catching their fish..We had a fellow down here win a pro tourny on Lake Toho..He was our coaches father..he secretly told me the lure..It was a Mann's Little George..nothing else would work.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 PM

I once caught a 6.5 lb bass on an inch of nightcrawler while pan fishing here in Indiana. That equates to atleast a 9lber in Florida. Does that make it a good bass bait? Not to start an argument but what data? For the most part big baits catch big bass. It is the simple fact that larger bass don't waste as much energy chasing their food as their smaller counterparts. If you were a big fat 10lber would you eat a small inline spinner or would you go for the large crankbait/jig/spinner bait/etc... going past? All I'm saying is that if it was such a great bait it would be used more often. I'm also not a fan of the small treble hook they put on rooster tails. Easy to throw. This all being said if you want to give them a try they will probably catch a lot of smaller bass and the occasional larger bass but if you want to catch the big ones you might want to upgrade to bigger baits.

Quick Reply: rooster tails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.