Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Bass are starting to get active. >

Bass are starting to get active.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Bass are starting to get active.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Bass are starting to get active.

I don't always go by what the newspapers say...in my opinion they are mostly just trying to sell bait and tackle..They've been saying the bass have been spawning for 2 months..Trust me..when Florida bass are spawning it's no mystery..As you flp around the islands.the boils will rock your boat..and bait fish are jumping for thier lives .P
ve seen nothing like that..I've only caught small bucks.

I've been fishing alot since Jan..Today for the first time I honestly caught a fat female..I took Aaron out this evening..I boated 4 ...Two were full of roe and were in the 2 pound area..2 more jumped off at the boat..same size. I caught them all on Electric Blue Gambler worms with athe tiniest split shot.available.to make th eworm swim very slowly in the hydrilla..Most were caught about 8 feet off the shore..in about 5 feet of water .There were no hawgs boiling on the shoreline but I did see some nice boils in deeper water...From this point on till the full moon ..I'm expecting things to really pick up. Our tilapia are spawning now and can be easily mistaken for bass..Their beds are the same size and most boil the water and are in the 3- 4 pound range. many fish for them with bow and arrow,

God bless,
C7
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bass are starting to get active.

Thats awesome. Im sure water up here is still 33 degrees.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir...When the spawn is on..one should have no problem pitching and flipping around cattails, points and overhangs without getting bumps..

Bumps can be decieving too .My last and best fish last night felt like a 4 inch bluegill nibbling on the tail..

The tackle shop that carrys Gambler Worms only has 5 packs of 6 inch left..This morning I plan to buy all 5 packs..I love those worms..Good luck this year partner..I also ask the man in charge of sporting goods in Walmart to order a suppy of 3/8th ounce Rooster Tails..my second favorite lure..He's going to try.
Tight lines,
C7
Old 03-14-2008, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

C7, awesome report! We are finally getting the ice off around here! We only have 11" now instead of 17"... haha Well, take care and tight lines!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hit the big farm pond here in eastern VA on Wednesday. Actually intended to fish for some crappie, but ended up fishing for bass instead. Caught 6, all small. Biggest fish right at 16" or so, smallest was about 12".

Water temp is still just a bit under 60 degrees. Best bait was a spinner bait, white and chartreuse and black/blue/gold. Both 3/8oz, willow 4.25 blades. Caught two fish on 4" black/red Berkley worm, Carolina Rig as well. Fish were almost all shallow, 3-6'. Most of mine were on flats, about 20-30yards off the bank. The pond is fairly shallow, lots of pads in the summer, lots of stumps and logs and old wood duck boxes. Caught some hogs in there, but I still think we are about two weeks away from it getting hot (fishing wise).

The river/lake guys tell me they have been doing the best right now on crankbaits. Throw 'em to the bank right at the mouth of creeks, drag 'em back. Been using short fat bombers and the like, best color last week was apparently crawdad. Still lots of guys having trouble catching females, but the males are pretty easy pickings. All 6 I caught on Wednes were males.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds good man//My son and I didn't do so good today..We got 3 bucks..12 inchers..Maybe for the first time since I lived in Florida I missed the spawn [:-]{Possibly while I was crappie fishing}[] or they are very very late this year.. I think they are very late..
Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Sounds good man//My son and I didn't do so good today..We got 3 bucks..12 inchers.. Maybe for the first time since I lived in Florida I missed the spawn [:-]{Possibly while I was crappie fishing}[] or they are very very late this year.. I think they are very late..

I know they haven't started in VA yet. It took a sack of over 20 pounds to win the local lake club tourney this past weekend from what I hear. Things should just be getting hot up here. I want to scout for turkeys and I need to, but I'm kinda bit by the bass bug.... I think I might carry my ass fishing this week and worry about turkeys a bit closer to the season.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Dominant Buck

This has been the weirdest year yet for me..I sure hope I haven't missed the spawn playing around with those crappie in January..In 1983 I remember the spawn being during the first week of January..However I also remember that activity going on for 2 months off and on. Last week was the first female I've caught with roe..I plan to go out this evening as the full moon will be this Friday. My last outing at Saddle Creek I got 7 hits in 1 3/4 hour..which isn't bad for that place...the biggest was a short female at a little over 2 pounds.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

a couple days ago i got an 11.5" in my pond
Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! That's great..

Quick Reply: Bass are starting to get active.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.