Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 If you were a beginner bass fisherman >

If you were a beginner bass fisherman

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

If you were a beginner bass fisherman

Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default If you were a beginner bass fisherman

what lures, rods, reels would a beginner need to start a bass tacklebox? I have a baitcast reel and a few spinning reels. Have no idea about flipping or jigging. All of the fishing that I do is done with live bait (minnows, worms, crickets, etc.) I've been fishing practically all my life but I want to learn the sport of bass fishing. How do you successfully fish without a cork? Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: If you were a beginner bass fisherman

Ok Partner..I got 43 years of expereince BUT I'll cut to the chase and get to the best parts..

what lures, rods, reels would a beginner need to start a bass tacklebox?
Sorry but depends on wha tkind of water and structure you are fishing..[:-]
OK Looks like your from South Louisianna..I'm from central FLorida..so it's pretty similiar..

You said beginner..I'll presume your on a limited income.
go to Walmart..
Get a open faced spinning rod 103 Garcia and a 6 1/2 foot or 7 / Lightening rod. The entire rod adn reel is 80.00
iIf there is heavy vegetation in your body of water I'd buy 20# Power Pro fishing line..it's thin but nearly unbreakable..

lures..get your local tackle shop to sho wyou how to hook a worm Texas style..Then go back to Walmart and buy some Zoom rubber worms {Dark Colors}and 1/8th ounce bullet sinkers..have the tackle shop instruct you ..if no luck PM me and I'll show you step by step. Also Weedless white spinner baits are good..Strike king is good...I only use single leaves...either willow or colorado..Teh tackle shop will know what I'm talking about.

I have a baitcast reel and a few spinning reels. Have no idea about flipping or jigging. Flipping ..You are right on top of the fish ..usually by cat tails or trees..You drop the bait straight down on them ,,,Let your worm hit the bottom..usually 3-5 feet of water..You patiently fish every tiny opening...When your worm is on the bottom jiggle it easy...if nothing happens SLOWLY lify up and try somewhere else..When you feel a bump..Lower the rod tip and watch line move.WHAM!!! set the hook back and the fight is on..I've caught loads like this.It's the same thing as jigging..I mostly pitch though..It's like flipping but your boat is about 10 yds away from theshore and you use your rod to pitch it under handed in those holes...it doesn't spook the fish as bad.

Fishing the rubber worm is the most popular way of catching bass with artificials...The spinner baits are more of a reaction lure.Last Sat. the bass were not biting..so I began using a white 3/8th ounce Rooster Tail as a reaction lure.{Meaning bass are predator fish//mean a sa snake adn sometimes they will strike becasue of their reaction to a helpless white object flittering buy } and I got some like that.
NOW there are many more lures but those 2 are my favorites..I also like divin gcrank baits , top water, jigs and rattle traps..but Worms and spinner baits are my favorites.

PS if you decideto buy Power Pro line..let me know,.There is a special knot you must use .
Good luck
C7
Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly what Chuck7 said, he is a genius!

The rubber worm is the all-time best bass lure.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 AM
Typical Buck

W-O-W...thanks chuck7. I'll head to walmart in the morning. I need to print this out. Thanks again...
ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Ok Partner..I got 43 years of expereince BUT I'll cut to the chase and get to the best parts..

what lures, rods, reels would a beginner need to start a bass tacklebox?
Sorry but depends on wha tkind of water and structure you are fishing..[:-]
OK Looks like your from South Louisianna..I'm from central FLorida..so it's pretty similiar..

You said beginner..I'll presume your on a limited income.
go to Walmart..
Get a open faced spinning rod 103 Garcia and a 6 1/2 foot or 7 / Lightening rod. The entire rod adn reel is 80.00
iIf there is heavy vegetation in your body of water I'd buy 20# Power Pro fishing line..it's thin but nearly unbreakable..

lures..get your local tackle shop to sho wyou how to hook a worm Texas style..Then go back to Walmart and buy some Zoom rubber worms {Dark Colors}and 1/8th ounce bullet sinkers..have the tackle shop instruct you ..if no luck PM me and I'll show you step by step. Also Weedless white spinner baits are good..Strike king is good...I only use single leaves...either willow or colorado..Teh tackle shop will know what I'm talking about.

I have a baitcast reel and a few spinning reels. Have no idea about flipping or jigging. Flipping ..You are right on top of the fish ..usually by cat tails or trees..You drop the bait straight down on them ,,,Let your worm hit the bottom..usually 3-5 feet of water..You patiently fish every tiny opening...When your worm is on the bottom jiggle it easy...if nothing happens SLOWLY lify up and try somewhere else..When you feel a bump..Lower the rod tip and watch line move.WHAM!!! set the hook back and the fight is on..I've caught loads like this.It's the same thing as jigging..I mostly pitch though..It's like flipping but your boat is about 10 yds away from theshore and you use your rod to pitch it under handed in those holes...it doesn't spook the fish as bad.

Fishing the rubber worm is the most popular way of catching bass with artificials...The spinner baits are more of a reaction lure.Last Sat. the bass were not biting..so I began using a white 3/8th ounce Rooster Tail as a reaction lure.{Meaning bass are predator fish//mean a sa snake adn sometimes they will strike becasue of their reaction to a helpless white object flittering buy } and I got some like that.
NOW there are many more lures but those 2 are my favorites..I also like divin gcrank baits , top water, jigs and rattle traps..but Worms and spinner baits are my favorites.

PS if you decideto buy Power Pro line..let me know,.There is a special knot you must use .
Good luck
C7
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

If you can handle casting with a baitcast reel then I would get a few spinner baits and a buzz bait. The spinner baits always work for me and are easy to use. Just cast them out andcrank back. They go through weeds pretty well and attract all types of game fish. I like the titanium baits best since they don't bend. The buzz baits are fun first thing in the morning and I like to throw them next to shallow weed lines. Before I got my house on the lake I used to trailer my bass boat to a state launch. The first thing I would do in the early morning is put down the trolling moter and cast a buzz baitalong the weeds right at the corner of the launch. The looks I would get from fellow bass boaters when they were launching was fun.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Your welcome..I sent Phil from Maine some worms last year and he beat me with my own lures[:@][8D]..How about that??..all the way from Florida to Maine..

johnny ,
Power Pro is not cheap but last ...here is the knot you must use when fishing this type of line..it's considered a braid.
Yikes I can't shrink the photo..see next reply..sorry[&:]

[align=center][/align]
[align=center] [/align]
2. Let the fishing hook hang loose, and tie an overhand knot in the doubled line.

Avoid twisting the lines and do NOT tighten the knot.

[align=center][/align]
3. Pull the loop end of the line far enough to pass it over the hook, swivel or lure.

Make sure the loop passes completely over the attachment.

[align=center][/align]
4. Pull both the tag end and the standing line until the knot is tightened. Clip off the tag end of the fishing line.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm

Here's the knot that MUST be used with Power Pro..

Here is how to hook a rubber worm Texas Rig..
1. First ..thread a 1/8th ounce bullet sinker through your line..It will slide on..there is a hole drilled through the center.

2. Now your ready to put the worm on..NOTE I use 6" worms with curly tail..Best colors in my opinion'black / green tail
Black / blue tail / Red Shad..ZOOM makes them all..and Gambler Christmas Tree..that last one is a FLorida worm

First ..have the curly part of the worm going the same direction as teh bend in the hook{To keep from excessive twisting}The hook goes in about 3/4 of inch straight down..
The hook is from Bass Pro..and its a 4/0 Mustad worm hook straight shank..some on here will argue the hook type and worm size..I'll forgive them in advance.

ok Partner it is now ready..go to next reply to see how it's fished
Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

OK ..note the hook is burried in the worm..This is to make it weedless..it takes a long timeto fish rubber worms so fish where you think there are bass for sure ..

1.Cast your worm beyond where you think the bass is.

2. Wait till the worm is on the bottom..watch your line.wait till it stops..

3. Point your rod at about 10:00 o clock..and then easily lift the rod to 11:30..

you are not moving the worm much..you are simply ..slowly bumping the worm..if you feel any resistance or anything stop...a big bass can feel like fine gravel..

4. Say you think yo got a hit..point your rod tip toward the fish..watch your line straighten out. With arms extendined and rod tip pointed toward the swimming away fish ..set the hook hard over your head..A pull set..see video below..The hook will easily penetrate the worm and hook into the fishes mouth.

5.You must keep the rod high and bent.

Here... I set my like this it's called a pull set..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPnRALrRSZQ

Old 03-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Chuck,

Can the power pro line be used on a baitcast reel? I picked some up this evening at Academy Sports and Outdoors today and on the package it said that it was for spinning reels. I looked at the price and put it back b/c I wasn't sure whether I could use it in my baitcast reel. If so I'll go back and pick some up.

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm

Here's the knot that MUST be used with Power Pro..

Here is how to hook a rubber worm Texas Rig..
1. First ..thread a 1/8th ounce bullet sinker through your line..It will slide on..there is a hole drilled through the center.

2. Now your ready to put the worm on..NOTE I use 6" worms with curly tail..Best colors in my opinion'black / green tail
Black / blue tail / Red Shad..ZOOM makes them all..and Gambler Christmas Tree..that last one is a FLorida worm

First ..have the curly part of the worm going the same direction as teh bend in the hook{To keep from excessive twisting}The hook goes in about 3/4 of inch straight down..
The hook is from Bass Pro..and its a 4/0 Mustad worm hook straight shank..some on here will argue the hook type and worm size..I'll forgive them in advance.

ok Partner it is now ready..go to next reply to see how it's fished
Old 03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..it's actually made for bait casters..It should be green

Quick Reply: If you were a beginner bass fisherman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.