Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Bass fishing around Tampa, FL??? >

Bass fishing around Tampa, FL???

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Bass fishing around Tampa, FL???

Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bass fishing around Tampa, FL???

Going to Florida the first week of May, I'd really like to hook up with a nice 7-8# plus bass for the wall. I've caught 2 in that range through the years, and put both of them back, extenuating circumstances, one I had to, the other I chose to, but I'd like to hook up with a good one while I'm there, because I know they are more prevalent in Florida than they are up here in Ohio. Is there any place specific to the Tampa area that would be recommended???
Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bass fishing around Tampa, FL???

hire a guide and go fish stickmarsh/farm 13 would be my bet, a 7-8 would be a very likely, and it could be as good as a 9-11, i know a guide in the area if your interested...

if you wanna do it on your own you can but you'll spend a lot on gas and a renting or towing a rig..i've done it many times when gas was 1.00 a gallon but would hate the thought of it now[:-][:@]

there are some guys here that know the area well and can probably give you some good insight

i'm sure c7 can help you out..

good luck, and we wanna see some pics
Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I live 30 miles away..I can help you ...if you don't mind a small boat that only holds 2 ...and fishing with shiners..I can put you on lots of big bass.May the spawn will be over so we will needto get you a hawg on shiners.
C7
The area is catch and release so we can keep no bass...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Keith..they are no longer doing very good at Stick marsh..they encourage tourist to use shiners..The bass are savy on artificails..Fish Hook is getting rather challenging as well.

In the tampa area ...you could hire a guide and they will most likely put you on a private pit or take you to Lake Okachobee..The BIg O

or drive 100 miles to Stick Marsh or Farm 13 as Keith said..you will need a boat.

I can't guarantee you a 7 or 8 BUT I can guarantee you alot of bass...and a good chance of getting a bass..over 5 pounds....I fish at Tenoroc..you can read about it on the web..It's an old Phoosphate mine that has been turned into a management area.. It's right off of I-4 which runs into Tampa..It's by reservation only..Big boats can't use the ramp at Fish Hook anyway so a small boat is the only access. A normal shiner trip ..you will use up 4 dozen shiners easily in 2 hours..minnows are cheaper and work as well..March and April our bass are spawning and I will be using worms and jigs..My service ot you is free except you will need ot buy your own shiners...they are about 7.00 a dozen. smalls work fine. Minnows are 5.00 a 1/4 pound..and they work just as good. You can use my rods if you like. I prefer spinning tackle when using shiners..They hook themselves...There is no sructure so you don't need heavy line..just a drag that works.My son caught some nice ones on 6 pound test last Sat. and light tackle.

Another technique for artificial I use for the summer months..is to drift a couple rubber worms pegged at 18" ..you won't get a lot of bites but you will get a couple nice ones.I drift in deep water at that time..For our tourny..I will be hardpressed to get my big one in March or April for the Hunting.net tourny..Those are our 2 best months..this year. If you were here then..we'd use artificials..
Old 02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck,
Now your getting me excited. Here in Ohio, and a lot of the time when I live in GA, I ran plastic worms, Berkley Powerbaits, to be specific, and I've caught a BUNCH of bass on them, but that is usually in areas with a lot of structure too. I only use LIVE bait when I fish for bluegill and crappie here in OH, the rest of the time, it's something FAKE that the fish can be "suckered" by. Once the time gets closer, I may PM you Chuck, I appreciate the advice and offer, and if I can get away, I may even try to take you up on it, but I'd have to at least buy all of the shiners, I couldn't let that hospitality go unpaid for. If I were to catch a nice one, I'd probably just take some GOOD picture of it, get some GOOD measurements, and have a FAUX mount done, as my local Taxi said a FAUX mount will actually last longer, looks as good, and is CHEAPER.

Thanks for info, advice, and offer!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..you'ld have to get the shiners but you will catch lot's of bass. The water level is down so only us folks with small boats can ge tin there..I am looking foir a 10 pound plus this year to mount..so I will fish Saddle Creek for that one.You can keep one trophy per outing there..Mostly all of the bass fisherman in FLorida release them.
Here's one I got from the spot I'm taking youlast year..8.4 pounds. I also got an 8 .0 last year I lost count of the 5s and 6s

Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Keith..they are no longer doing very good at Stick marsh..they encourage tourist to use shiners..The bass are savy on artificails..Fish Hook is getting rather challenging as well.

In the tampa area ...you could hire a guide and they will most likely put you on a private pit or take you to Lake Okachobee..The BIg O

or drive 100 miles to Stick Marsh or Farm 13 as Keith said..you will need a boat.

I can't guarantee you a 7 or 8 BUT I can guarantee you alot of bass...and a good chance of getting a bass..over 5 pounds....I fish at Tenoroc..you can read about it on the web..It's an old Phoosphate mine that has been turned into a management area.. It's right off of I-4 which runs into Tampa..It's by reservation only..Big boats can't use the ramp at Fish Hook anyway so a small boat is the only access. A normal shiner trip ..you will use up 4 dozen shiners easily in 2 hours..minnows are cheaper and work as well..March and April our bass are spawning and I will be using worms and jigs..My service ot you is free except you will need ot buy your own shiners...they are about 7.00 a dozen. smalls work fine. Minnows are 5.00 a 1/4 pound..and they work just as good. You can use my rods if you like. I prefer spinning tackle when using shiners..They hook themselves...There is no sructure so you don't need heavy line..just a drag that works.My son caught some nice ones on 6 pound test last Sat. and light tackle.

Another technique for artificial I use for the summer months..is to drift a couple rubber worms pegged at 18" ..you won't get a lot of bites but you will get a couple nice ones.I drift in deep water at that time..For our tourny..I will be hardpressed to get my big one in March or April for the Hunting.net tourny..Those are our 2 best months..this year. If you were here then..we'd use artificials..
Chuck is this the smae thin that I told you to do, I know you were having trouble with it, and if it is I am glad that I could help you catch a few more fish, I know those gmabler worms yout alk about have helped me a few times in the past.
Brent
Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Dominant Buck

NOt quite Oneshot..you use a trickworm..I still need to practice with that..

Actually I met a man at the baot ramp a few years ago..He catches fish over 10 pounds frquently..I ask him his secret..he said he drifts 2 rods..pegged..Texas rig 10 inch worms.IN DEEP WATER .He said you will only get 1 or 2 bites all morning BUT they will be quality fish..We are talking about the dog days of summer here..

I've tried this a couple of times..and he was right..Trouble was I lost both fish..they will be monsters..and they always snatch your rod when you are not expecting it..they don't nibble ..they rip that rod ..like this..

Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Keith..they are no longer doing very good at Stick marsh.
[&:][&:]

hey Chuck, check out this report from yesterday on stick

Subject: Stick Marsh/Farm 13, Florida
Submitted by George_W #11591
Date Fished: 2/20/2008
Water Clarity: 0

Scott Phillips from Erwin, Tennessee arrived on the 14th with friends Ron & Mary for two days of sampling the waters of Stick Marsh/Farm 13. With Senkos, SwimSenkos, and rattle traps in hand Scott and his friends hope to see some of the big fish that Scott had seen on a previous visit. Lots of bass and plenty of good quality landed in the boat, however that elusive big gal just never showed her face. Working deep in the south end of the Farm, using the bump-a-stump technique, proved to be the ticket.
Dan Mitchell and his sons Clay and Conner of Franklin, Tennessee were next up, arriving on the 16th in hopes of catching a memory. Again as with the previous trip lots of bass, but no big ones. There out there, and just a cast away, but no one had the lucky cast. As with the previous trip, the bass were in the stumps and brush and Senkos were able to lure them out. Lots of fish, but again no big ladies to account for.
Next up were Terry Collins, his father John, and friend Cricket. Arriving bright and early on the 17th, all the way for Tullahoma, Tennessee, these guys promised to be a hoot from moment one. As they tumbled out of their vehicles they were already sounding off as to who was best, and who would get the big fish. With predictions of wind for the day they opted to try out some of Florida's finest golden shiners, and there option proved to be very good. The day started out with a bang as the first hit came within the first few minutes of setting up. This was followed by another 20 in the next hour or so and then as if a switch had been thrown, with the wind rising, the bite quit. With the wind blowing pretty hard out of the SE we starting drifting the south end of the Farm and managed a few more bites of the rest of the morning. As early afternoon rolled in we moved westward and started drifting fresh water.

The first big fish simply made John's float disappear. No fanfare, no splash, the float just quietly went out of sight and the fight was on. There was no question that John had a grand old dame on as she peeled line. There was no turning this gal until she was ready, and then it was still hang on as she tore out in a big arc to the right. John never got overly excited as he worked this monster to the boat, giving his his reward of one jumbo Stick Marsh/Farm 13 lady.

It wasn't but a short time later that Terry's bait was smashed and another real good fish came on board.

Monday the 18th was cleanup and boat repair time and with my friend Don Willis pitching in we patched a minor bit of damage on the bottom of the boat.
Yesterday, arriving out of the wintry cold of Chugiak, Alaska was Dennis Harns and his wife Cheryl who came out for a 1/2 day of fishing. Perhaps some of you have met these fine folks before at their fishing lodge up there. Dennis and his wife have run Alaska Trophy Safaris for the last 40 years and are well know for providing just super trips for Salmon and Trout in the cool waters of the north. We launched and headed south but were quickly chased out of the south end by 25+ knot winds. Heading to the north end canal of the Marsh produced the only two fish caught for the morning: one bass, and one cat. Both took a Senko. There were a few very light bites missed but we dismissed them as small bass.
As you can see, the bulk of the fish are coming from the south end of the Farm, and Senkos laid in next to a stump will get you a bass. We are rigging Texas rigged, and dark colors, (any dark colors) are working well.
See you out there.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

..Thanks MT. they are on down there..Stick Marsh is off of highway 60..60 is 10 miles from my house.It's one county over..I plan to try it sometime..I understand the gators are very long over there.[:-]"Might need a bigger boat."

Quick Reply: Bass fishing around Tampa, FL???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.