Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Need help with trout rig for stocked lake >

Need help with trout rig for stocked lake

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Need help with trout rig for stocked lake

Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need help with trout rig for stocked lake

I posted about this last year, and got mixed replies on how to do it. I have small hooks and some small split shots, and egg shaped weights and was told by someone at BPro to use power bait the size of a grape, about a foot from a split shot, then the egg shaped weight NOT CRIMPED behind it. That way, so the theory goes, the bait will float a foot above the bottom, and when the trout bites it, won't have the resistance of the larger egg weight because it isn't crimped on the line.

I remember someone on here saying last year to use the torpedo bobbers, but how does that allow you to keep the bait near but above the bottom considering different depths of water?

Just trying to put my kids on fish. When I was a kid, my dad had me fishing a lake with SQUID!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need help with trout rig for stocked lake

I am not sure of what trout fishing is like for you down there, as we fish mostly brookies up here. Early in the season we like to let the hoof slowly sink to the bottom without any wieght on it except for a small dark swivel. At times nothing except just the hook, as trout up here early in the season tend to pick stuff up off the bottom more. Just by letting it lay there and waiting for long periods of time. That is how i had caught a 19 1/2 incher by just waiting with it on the bottom. Once the flies come out though it is a different ballgame as they will start moving more and hitting more steadily.. If in current early in the year i just use a small splitshot to help sink down behind the rips of a rock..or something of that nature. Good luck with taking the kids out..
Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Phil. I will try to get there right after they stock the lake. Of course, the fish are used to being hand fed from the hatchery and nursery or whatever. I have heard they are finicky to where you don't want much weight on the line, but need to cast it further than two feet from shore too!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another thing you may want to try is using a small super duper or a small daredevil as sometimes they will work on them early in the year as well as late in the season..
Old 02-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

freshly stocked trout are pretty easy to catch. corn niblets, small peices of power bait (just enough to cover the hook), worms, cheese, etc will catch them. I usually just use 4 lb line and a split shot or two.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trout are natural bottom feeders.

No matter what type of bait you use it is important to keep the bait moving.

My suggestion is to have a small weight about18" feet from the hook.
After the bait has been on the bottom for a few minutes, lift the tip of therod and reel in the slack.
You may want to do this 2-3 times.

IMHO, The movement of the bait slowly moving on the bottom will increase your odds that the trout
pick up the motion and hopefully pick up your bait.

Good Luck
Old 02-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Doug, the rig you described is just what I use on our inland trout stocked lakes. Another bait to use is corn on those stockers. They are pelet fed and cor sorta resembls the fed. Take a hand full and chum an area then throw out in the middle of it.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

jaysweet,

Chum sounds like a great idea. Should I just get canned corn, frozen corn in a bag or what?

Also, when they bite, let them take it and swallow before setting the hook, or set the hook right when you feel a nibble?

Thanks to everyone for their advice!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do know some folks (very few) that fish with corn...but have never really seen anyone chum with it.
I'm sure any kind of corn would work..(maybe not creamed corn ).

When bottom fishing, I use a small hook, usually an 8 or 10 snelled Eagle Claw Hook.
I usually only use enough bait to cover the hook with worms, a few salmon eggs, or power bait, etc.

After I cast out, either from a boat or from shore, I slowly real in the slack after it hits bottom but
I leave a bow in the line from the tip of the road to the water. That way there's little resistance when the trout takes the bait.

When the fish takes the bait (they usually inhale it rather than bite it), I set the hook when the line
has straightened.

Good Luck...

Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need help with trout rig for stocked lake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.