HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Just me AGAIN... bragging :) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/230927-just-me-again-bragging.html)

buckhunter14 02-05-2008 04:29 PM

Just me AGAIN... bragging :)

Well guys, I must admit I am extremely lucky to be able to fish. Just be thankful that each of us can. It is such a blessing and sometimes we over look it. I know most guys don't like hearing it, but praise God for the bad days, especially when your having good ones. About an hour and a half worth of fishing. Awesome!

Champlain Islander 02-05-2008 06:02 PM

RE: Just me AGAIN... bragging :)

Great looking flat fish there BH14. I too had a great day on the ice. 183 pounds of slab yellow perch (I sold them)and a nice 8 pound pike that I had for supper. I filled 2 seven gal tall buckets, 2six gal medium buckets and half a 5 gal dry wall bucket.Nothing like fishing to get back to nature and enjoy all that the great provider has given us. OBTW great looking crappie. They are my absolute favorie fish. I love the way they look when the sun shines on them.

buckhunter14 02-05-2008 06:55 PM

CI, them Crappiesure are beautiful, and that is a WHOLE lotta perch. I couldn't even imagine. How much do you get for your fish? I have never heard of local anglers selling their fish around here.

Also, do you know how to fillet pike without getting that dang Y-Bone? I love them, but that frusterates me.

jim1966 02-05-2008 07:31 PM

Nice fish. Where you fishing at? Ice fishing?

buckhunter14 02-05-2008 07:34 PM

I fish many private and public lakes and rivers in Central Lower Peninsula Michigan. Right now, I am ice fishing the lakes, and drift fishing the rivers for steelhead (ones that aren't ice jammed anyway).

Chuck7 02-06-2008 10:40 AM

Nice bunch of fish;)

Champlain Islander 02-06-2008 03:04 PM

The price for whole fish changes with the market. Right now 8" or larger perch are 1.15 per pound right out of the bucket and 6" or larger sunnies/ bluegills are .65. Both the perch and flat fish are unlimited bag limits on Champlain. The 9" crappie are getting 2.50 per pound but there is a 25 limit on them. Not every place allows whole fish to be sold but it is legal here. I can actually sell them at a seafood store near here and take the money and buy lobsters and King Crab. :DSlower day today and I got 35 pounds.
Getting the y bone out of the pike is a trick and I find I do better if it is a decent sized pike of at least 8 pounds. I fillet them and then cut above the bone to produce my fillet. If you want to save some meat you can run your knife down the back and then fillet along the Y bone but it takes me more time than it is worth. It was delicious...we fried it with Italian bread crumbs and squeezed lemon on it.

buckhunter14 02-06-2008 03:47 PM

Wow, that is some good money. Anyway... I did it again today, and should have some pics up soon!