HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   What kind of gear do I really need. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/226119-what-kind-gear-do-i-really-need.html)

bkitchen0406 01-07-2008 02:14 PM

What kind of gear do I really need.

I won't be on a boat. I will be fishing some place in ohio. Some place around canton ohio. I don't want to buy total crap, but I don't want to spend a bunch of cash either. I know some things about guns and hunting gear, but I don't know anything about fishing gear other then a little bit about bait from when I fished with my dad. Everything is so fancy and complicated now. What kind of rod should I buy and what kind of real should I buy. I don't want to spend a bunch of money but I don't want to buy crap. I want something that will be good for the next 15 years. Thanks for your time.

bkitchen0406 01-07-2008 02:18 PM

RE: What kind of gear do I really need.

Last year I went looking for a rod a guy tried to sell mea rod for 200 bucks. That was just the rod. When I go to those big hunting stores its hard for me to shop for fishing stuff. There is so much crap. I was thinking about 100 bucks for the rod and real would be the highest I would go.

mbhutton 01-07-2008 05:27 PM

By the sounds of it you will be bank fishing, I would get a Shamino Curcial spinning rod, about $140ish, life time warranty, great rod and a Shamino Rell maybe a Symtre, I like Shamino gear it has been around a while and lasts the test of time..Just my .2c worth

You should sign up for the Tournament this year

JoshKeller 01-07-2008 06:38 PM

most of the decent rods now have good warrunties. I have a few shimano reels that I bought new in the early 90's and they are still as smooth as the day i bought them.

buffdmac 01-08-2008 04:29 PM

Reel Garcia 103 spinning Walmart 36.00

Rod Either Team Diawa 6 1/2 --7 foot spinning medium ..50.00
or 6 1/2 --7 foot medium Lightning Rod. 36.00

All can be bought at Walmart..

The line..depends on the lures , structure and fish you plan to catch.

buckhunter14 01-08-2008 08:39 PM

You don't need to go expensive... I beat my poles, rods, reels, whatever you wanna call them to heck... and they prevail. I may have to do some work on them once in a while but rarely get skunked on a decent rod, reel combo.

childers 01-13-2008 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: bkitchen0406

Last year I went looking for a rod a guy tried to sell mea rod for 200 bucks. That was just the rod. When I go to those big hunting stores its hard for me to shop for fishing stuff. There is so much crap. I was thinking about 100 bucks for the rod and real would be the highest I would go.
ive' got rods that cost over 100 dollars and the the reel cost over 100 and then the line is like 20 and that only lasts so long. and then you need the tacke, hooks, swivels, weights, or just w/e you need for the game you desire

childers 01-13-2008 08:33 PM

you get what you pay for