Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing Polls

Old 11-21-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Fishing Polls

Are the expensive fishing polls really that much better than a cheap one? My friends all have expensive fishing polls and I have a $35,40 poll. I really don't see that big of a difference. I would hate to spend a lot of money on a fishing poll.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fishing Polls

Bottom line is, it depends. Ugly sticks are inexpensive yet very good rods.Seeing how fast technology is moving it doesn't make much sense to buy an expensive rod when about 5 years down the road there will be cheap rods made just as good as that expensive rod. The expensive rods will be made a new way in order to keep them expensive and then 5 years later....Well, you get the picture.

Part of the difference between inexpensive and expensive is the expensive ones are handmade cheap ones are machine made, inexpensive are half and half (hand and machine). Would I buy and use a 10 buck rod? No, except if it was all I could afford. Bad thing is I catch fish in the 40 pound range off our pier and those cheap rods don't hold up.

Would I spend several hundred on a rod? Heck no, I can't afford that. Never have used one. The most I have paid is 100 bucks for a Tica. Actually I have two Tica's. Are they any better than the 50 dollar Okuma? Yes they are but just barely. the difference is the Tica's blank goes all the way to the butt, the Okuma doesn't. their blank goes to the reel seat, and another piece goes from the reel seat to the butt. It flexes at the reel when I cast. The tica's don't.

Rods do have to match the weight that you will be using and the line you will be using. And all of that has to match the reel also. Even a 500 dollar rod can be a piece of crap if the rod, reel, line and weight doesn't match.

Just remember what I've said is just my opinion and thats all. I don't proffess to know all about it....but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

The equipment I currently use;
7' Tica, Abu Garcia 6500 C3, 14 pound line, 3/8 - 3 ounce
10' Tica, Abu Garcia 7500, 25 pound line, 3 - 8 ounce
7' custom Ugly stick, Okuma 525 Pro, 25 pound.
12' Ugly stick, Shakespeare Tidewater, 25 pound, 1 - 4 ounce.
10' Okuma, Okuma spinning reel, 14 pound, 1 - 3 ounce.

The top two are my favorite. I can cast close to 100 yards with them, the third is a fighting rod and cannot be casted.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:41 AM

In my opinion the rod is more important than the reel so i buy the best rod on the market.. i have maybe 30 or so rod and reel combos,from bream rods to deep sea trolling rods..
Old 11-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

THere is a difference and unless you are fishing day in and day out in tournaments, you dont really need the expensive poles. I can tell you i wouldnt trade my 6' 6" St. Croix for anything in the world. Then you get custom rods ( lifetime warranty), as for them my Key Largo can't be beat. Then for the weekend fisherman, I can't think of anything tougher and better than a Lightning Rod. I have three from 1995, that 20 bucks went a heck of a long way.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thundermug

Bottom line is, it depends. Ugly sticks are inexpensive yet very good rods.Seeing how fast technology is moving it doesn't make much sense to buy an expensive rod when about 5 years down the road there will be cheap rods made just as good as that expensive rod. The expensive rods will be made a new way in order to keep them expensive and then 5 years later....Well, you get the picture.

Part of the difference between inexpensive and expensive is the expensive ones are handmade cheap ones are machine made, inexpensive are half and half (hand and machine). Would I buy and use a 10 buck rod? No, except if it was all I could afford. Bad thing is I catch fish in the 40 pound range off our pier and those cheap rods don't hold up.

Would I spend several hundred on a rod? Heck no, I can't afford that. Never have used one. The most I have paid is 100 bucks for a Tica. Actually I have two Tica's. Are they any better than the 50 dollar Okuma? Yes they are but just barely. the difference is the Tica's blank goes all the way to the butt, the Okuma doesn't. their blank goes to the reel seat, and another piece goes from the reel seat to the butt. It flexes at the reel when I cast. The tica's don't.

Rods do have to match the weight that you will be using and the line you will be using. And all of that has to match the reel also. Even a 500 dollar rod can be a piece of crap if the rod, reel, line and weight doesn't match.

Just remember what I've said is just my opinion and thats all. I don't proffess to know all about it....but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

The equipment I currently use;
7' Tica, Abu Garcia 6500 C3, 14 pound line, 3/8 - 3 ounce
10' Tica, Abu Garcia 7500, 25 pound line, 3 - 8 ounce
7' custom Ugly stick, Okuma 525 Pro, 25 pound.
12' Ugly stick, Shakespeare Tidewater, 25 pound, 1 - 4 ounce.
10' Okuma, Okuma spinning reel, 14 pound, 1 - 3 ounce.

The top two are my favorite. I can cast close to 100 yards with them, the third is a fighting rod and cannot be casted.
some ugly sticks cost over 100
Old 11-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, my 12' surf rod was at 100 bucks and they have some trolling rods that are over 100 bucks.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Last year I added 15.00 to that 35.00 price you posted and bought 2 Team Diawas..at Walmart.Yep..I saw a difference. I loveTeam Diawa 7 'baitcaster rods.Yesterday my son and I boated about 40 crappie..We were using Lightening rods , Shakephere and Ugly stick light rods..They were all fun. Those rods ranged from 20- 30.00 They all had one thing in common though...Abu Garcia C 101spinning reels.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

abu garcia also has nice stuff and pfleuger
Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 PM

One of my back-up rod/reel combos is an under 20 dollar rod from walmart. I have an abu garcia reel on it and it works well for freshwater. I also have a number of really high qulaity rods....and i feel the only difference is that i am more pissed when i break the expensive ones.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

I started off with the cheaper rod and i used abetter one once. i now have 18 G-loomis rod and reel setups, spend the most that you can afford on a rod, good rods make ahuge difference when it comes to a soft bite. IMO

Quick Reply: Fishing Polls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.