HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   What reel should i get?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/206826-what-reel-should-i-get.html)

jeremyd2012 09-13-2007 12:18 PM

What reel should i get??

I was wondering if i should get another reel should i get a low profile baitcaster or another spinning for catfish, bass, and will one of those hold a four too six pound test??

indianahunter83 09-13-2007 01:01 PM

RE: What reel should i get??

If you are going to fish light line then I suggest a spinning reel. They tend to handle light line better.

thundermug 09-13-2007 04:50 PM

Make sure your rod is rated for the line you plan on using. You don't want to use 6 pound line if your rod is rated for 8-12 pound line. I also want to add your bait or lure also needs to match the rating on the rod.

jeremyd2012 09-14-2007 09:52 AM

i want to fish yellow perch but i would also like a low profile baitcaster for bass, catfish, etc. So what reel/rod should i get for yellow perch and what baitcast reel/rod shouldi get? thanks

jeremyd2012 09-17-2007 05:39 PM

i want to fish yellow perch but i would also like a low profile baitcaster for bass, catfish, etc. So what reel/rod should i get for yellow perch and what baitcast reel/rod shouldi get? thanks

childers 09-18-2007 05:42 PM

get any quantum or daiwa. but i would go with the quantum pti. rainbow colored one for like 130 or so.

thundermug 09-19-2007 06:04 PM

I think you should take a look at the smaller Abu Garcias before you buy anything.

indianahunter83 09-19-2007 07:15 PM

Personally I dislike low profile reels. Mostly because I have large hands and they just don't fit right. If you go low profile you can't go wrong with an abu garcia.

swampcat874 09-19-2007 07:18 PM

Check out microlite bass proshop rods IM6 Graphite 4' 6" to 6'6" all ultra light. These rods are unbelievable for the money!!! If you can find a better ultra light it must be a G Loomis. Their notG Loomis class but you will be impressed. Use four pound test for yellow perch. Penn makes a great little reel 4200 SS spinning reel (TUFF). Great for trout too. I would go spining all the way for small fish.

coolbrze0 09-19-2007 07:52 PM

A lot of big sporting good stores (Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks, Gander Mtn. etc) sell good combos for well under $100. I just bought an Abu Garcia/Berkely combo that was $79.99 w/ a $20 mail in rebate, not a bad rod/reel combo for the $.

Big12killer 09-30-2007 07:37 PM

I live on a lake and mostly fish for bass. I am by no means a pro fisherman, but i have plenty of rod and reel combos. I absolutely love my quantum reels, they cast, feel and fish great. I use the quantum baitcast reels with the abu garcia rods however because they provide good feel and great hooksets. It is what you are willing to spend and what you feel comfortable with. Good Luck!!